Thumbs Up What's blooming right now in East Tn...

Silver Maple, Winter honeysuckle, henbit and Dandelion. Some pollen coming into hive with a pale green/white color, I would guess silver maple the source.

Default Re: What's blooming right now in East Tn...

I haven't noticed anything blooming here in Kingsport. Hopefully, the bees can find something. -js

I noticed red buds forming on my silver maples. Bees were coming in with something on their legs yesterday, I assumed it was propolis.

You guys are killin' me. We won't see signs of life for 3 months yet.

On the other hand, I guess it has to start somewhere, so it's good to hear that it starting... Happy Spring.

Adam

Yes Adam, you hear the people living in the hot country gleefully talking about what wondrous things their bees are doing while ours are clusterd in a snowbank! Come July, they will be fighting small hive beetles, fire ants and wax moths while our long summer days will see monster honeyflows. Be sure and envy them then too! It is all local and I don't know if I would like summering bees in the south.

UPDATE: visited one of my apiaries today and one colony was bringing in pollen as UT described. Lots of activity at 2 other colonies but did not notice them carrying anything. Also, some henbit was in bloom but no bees on it as it was drenched from rain. -js

EDIT: A neighbor down the road has daffodil blooms today, also.
    Last edited by dixiebooks; 01-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.

My bees were flying like crazy today. It got up to 69F and will be warm again tomorrow. The bees were bringing in light yellow pollen.

I can't see anything blooming, but the daffodils are already growing and will probably start blooming in a couple of weeks.

Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I bet you'll see some dandilions here and there if you look, maybe skunk cabbage or which hazel?

I have a spikey type bush all over my property. It spreads like a weed. Some type of holly maybe, I don't know. I am in Alcoa, TN (near Knoxville) and it is blooming right now. I think I had all the bees from the area on my property today. Every bush I went to had honey bees all over it. I don't own any bees yet as I spent last year going to classes and asking lots of questions to make sure I really wanted to start beekeeping. I will be getting two hives this spring.

Hopefully the picture below of the bush loads...

EDIT: Can't get picture to work for some reason. I have scoured the internet and the bush looks to be some type of Mahonia.
    Last edited by Elite; 01-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Greetings from Kingston! It's kind of strange you can find flowering plants that are close to the hives and not a bee on them but some distance away they will be all over them.
    I guess this time of year there's a lot of micro-climate type conditions that come in to play why a plant releases pollen or nectar varies from plant to plant or place to place. Sometimes I can't figure out what they are foraging on.

Here in NC, I think the maples are blooming...Not sure...But it is funny, I checked the bees out in mid December on warm days and had bees coming in that were loaded with pollen. I watched today, and it seemed almost like springtime pollen flowing in.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Quote Originally Posted by UTvolshype View Post
    It's kind of strange you can find flowering plants that are close to the hives and not a bee on them but some distance away they will be all over them.
    I've read that bees can't relay information on plants that are closer than 100 yards. That's why they are usually away from the hive. That may or may not be true.

I did see a dandelion blooming in the yard today, but it's starting to rain so the bees aren't flying much today even though it's in the 60's.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

72 degrees here today. Every bee that entered the hives was carrying pollen. Some orange, some white and some grey. Mostly maples in bloom I think. Not sure what the orange is. They've been bringing that in for a couple of weeks now. Sooooo much activity at the hives this weekend...looked like spring.