Hybrid View

Default medicating at package introduction

Do you medicate for Nosema and Foulbrood when you start a colony with a package?

I have read that some do and others are silent on medication.

Thanks, Don

Default Re: medicating at package introduction

I do not medicate for Nesema. I have never medicated for Nosema in 39 years of keeping bees. I have not medicated for Foulbrood for 38 years and only did the first year because I was scared into it by all the books.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There is an article in Bee Culture from a very experienced beekeeper about treating packages.Out of ten packages that he purchased almost all where crashing from mites there first year.

My first year I bought into all that stuff as well.Later after much reading,"some from you're site ",I decided not to treat and to start keeping nucs around.

Couldn't you just use powdered sugar while they were still in the package? Would be pretty easy at least that covers mites.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Don do you rush out and get a big shot of antibiotic because you are moving into a new house? Provide a clean house and buy bees from a trustworthy source. Western Bee gets good clean packages. They would like to sell you medication, but that does not mean the packages need them!

Most commercial package suppliers treat for nosema and foulbroods. I wouldn't worry about that....now mites might be another story.
    If you wanted you could dust them with powdered sugar or spray w/oxalic acid.....of course you didn't hear that from me.
    Specific to package bees:
    http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...tomologyfacpub
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards