Default Winter Aconite Bulbs

"WINTER ACONITE BULBS, ERANTHIS HYEMALIS

Did you know that the term Eranthis means Spring Flower in Greek? These little yellow beauties will be charming announcers that Spring is arriving. They are generally one of the first Spring blooms, even before crocus, sometimes even when there is still snow on the ground!
    Eranthis flowers open their petals only when the sun is shining. If its overcast, flowers will be closed.

Full to partial shade under a tree canopy. Butter-cup like flowers in February.
    Soil is Chalk, Clay, Loam, Peat, Saline, Sand, Silt. Season of Interest: Winter."

Hi, All.

Found some interesting late winter blooming flowering bulbs.
    So my question is anyone has experience planting these cup like yellow flowers?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Default Re: Winter Aconite Bulbs

I'm in Northern Kentucky and have a planting of these under a large oak. I do see a few bees on them but they go more for the crocus and snowdrops. And be assured they are small. I planted 100 and you still have to walk out there to see them. Crocus have been the best performers for me.

I'm pretty sure you can't grow them where you are though. not enough winter. As I recall, you can't even grow daffodils there? Other than the paper white types that are not cold hardy.

I'm not sure what we can grow here. They do sell the bulbs at the local garden stores.
    I will be experimenting with the daffodils, winter snowdrops, paper whites, etc. Some are the late bulbs so
    will grow in our mild winter environment. Some are growing now. Maybe they can overwinter to bloom in the
    early Spring time.

Daffodils growing?:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Yes, those do appear to be daffodils. I know the paper white types come back reliably in the central San Joaquin valley where I grew up. Regular trumpet daffodils require some winter chilling to come back every year. Any bulb from the store has probably been pre-chilled so it will grow next spring. It's the coming back year after year that might be problematic.

Good luck