Default Bees flying in Middle Tennessee

49 degrees here and 5 of 5 hives flying with some returning with pollen(bright orange). Just ending a chilly wet spell, so this is a happy day! More "winter" to come I know, but today gives me hope for a good spring.

Default Re: Bees flying in Middle Tennessee

my bees were out in full force today too.
    next saturday it's going to be 70 i might put on some pollen patties.
    time to get ready to get busy, i think this may be another short tennessee winter
    reid

It's supposed to hit 60 here next Sat. I'll probably open mine up and check on stores and get my "bee fix", then will probably be another 8 weeks before I can open them again.

Undertakers were busy here today, from the sounds in the upper box I think they were moving a little honey too, One very alert guard head butted me in the nose, I guess I was being too nosey. Nice day here probably in the 50's , and by mid week even more of that wonderful warmth, but the down side is, they're going to use more of the stores, so keep a watch, here we still have a few more months before they get to forage.

Mine were busy as well. 7 of my 8 hives were busy cleaning out their dead. I popped the top on the one with no movement to find it completely dead. It was expected though, it was a small, weak hive that I should have combined with another prior to winter. Looked like there were no more than 100 bees in there, clustered around a nice supply of food. I suppose they froze to death in the last few nights. Bummer. At least the others seem to be doing well. Lesson learned.

I hope to be able to check mine tomorrow. I'm afraid that Mother Nature is just teasing us, and that it will probably get really cold before it gets better. I just hope the bees don't think it's spring yet. Remember that is was March when the blizzard hit in 93!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

In the Ohio valley, computer weather models, state, 8 to 10 day forecast are like right after Christmas for the Valley, freight train snow storms for the next several weeks.
    but remember these are models.
    My two hives are closed up tight, I can't get into them, well at least till there is a sign of spring.