Hybrid View

Default Pollen patty question

When does one typically feed pollen patties?

Default Re: Pollen patty question

Generally I only feed when needed....from my experience, in the winter I only put on a pollen patty when I thought they were out. As it was, they never touched it and wintered well.

Short answer is more of a question....what is causing you to think they need a pollen patty?

Chris in NJ

Nothing causes me to think they need one, I just need to know why people use them, and if they need them, when?

Pollen and pollen substitutes are used to provide protein. Protein is needed for raising brood, so pollen patties are often fed in the spring before natural pollen is available and the bees have started (or to get the bees started) raising brood.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Ideas on supplimental feeding of pollen substitutes are rapidly evolving. Commercial beekeepers who have to maximize their colony numbers and per colony production are feeding more and more suppliment. This tells me that it pays. Of course, those often migratory bees are put under far more stress than the colony sitting year round in a good location with many sources of pollen. Commercial bees are mostly moved from one monoculture to another either to pollinate it or collect a honey flow. I plan to start feeding mine substitute from Global Patties four weeks prior to when my bees should start collecting pollen this spring. They have one formulation that contains 14% actual pollen. I am not saying it is what should be done or needs to be done, it is just what I have decided is in my best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    one formulation that contains 14% actual pollen. I am not saying it is what should be done or needs to be done, it is just what I have decided is in my best interests.
    Vance, just becareful, that is one way of spreading unwanted pestes.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I've never been one to feed pollen patties, but I trapped my own pollen this year and have quite a bit in the freezer, would like to use it in the spring when making splits/nucs, giving each nuc some pollen to get them off to a good start. I'm thinking of just pouring the pollen granules into an empty brood comb, or is there some reason that mixing it with honey or syrup and making a patty would be better? John

Down here the club and old timers are talking about feeding pollen away from the hive because of the hive beetle problem. It was in the mid 60s day before yesterday and the pollen feeders where chock full of bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Vance, just becareful, that is one way of spreading unwanted pestes.
    This was post #7
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    This was post #7
    I would guess that the natural pollen is added to encourage bees to consume and/or to balance the protein.

Can you suggest a replacement?
    Do you have any suggestions for those of use in SHB country?
    How do you feel about Soy Isolate as an ingredient?

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post
    Nothing causes me to think they need one, I just need to know why people use them, and if they need them, when?
    Sorry, originally read it too quickly..

I second ralittlefield.....also, pollen substitute is inferior to the real thing (in my understanding).

Thanks
    Chris in NJ

One theory is that you should begin protein feeding 8 weeks prior to your main spring bloom. Protein feeding (pollen or pollen substitute patties) stimulates brood production. Once the eggs are laid it takes 3 weeks for the girls to emerge as bees (Maternity Ward), another 3 weeks to become foragers and at least 2 weeks of brood production to build up the hive population. This is assuming you have not allowed enough food in the hive for your bees to winter over.

1/07/2013
    Melanie,
    I fed my bees homemade pollen substitute on 01/02/2013 and an earlier feeding about 10 days earlier. ( no pollen added.)
    zip code 93010
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/