Default not sure where else to out this. would this be a good thing to apply for?

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/plant&...ivegrant.shtml
    On March 30, 2012, Governor McDonnell signed into law legislation from the 2012 session of the Virginia General Assembly that created the Beehive Grant Fund (Fund).* The Fund will be administered by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS).

House Bill 300 (E.T. Scott) and Senate Bill 354 (Deeds) provide, among others, that “Beginning January 1, 2013, any individual who either purchases a new hive or purchases materials or supplies to construct a new hive may apply for a grant from the Fund. Such grant shall be in an amount equal to $200 per new hive, not to exceed $2,400 per individual per year.”**

Individuals must register with VDACS to qualify for the Beehive Grant Fund.* VDACS is in the process of establishing registration procedures and developing guidelines setting forth the general requirements to qualify for a grant.*

Registration procedures and the general requirements to qualify for the grant will be published later in the year and will be distributed to interested stakeholders, including the various local beekeeper associations.

pdf http://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/G...CS_5098_v1.pdf

Default Re: not sure where else to out this. would this be a good thing to apply for?

If I were a VA resident I sure would be checking this out. Your have to pay income taxes on any grant money, but still real cheap hives.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Default Re: not sure where else to out this. would this be a good thing to apply for?

Yeah if your thrifty you can make a serious beeyard with $2,400

I got the same notice, I say stick it, no fees for the bees, you have a list of thing the grant will cover, and Grant Money is not free money, it is money taken from us tax payers and then the money grubs, allocate it for what ever they decide make people feel good. So the way I see it they owe each tax payer not just a would be or beekeeper, this is just another wealth redistribution angle, how about buy your own stuff and work with your bees, and be self sufficient. Stop the dang robbing the tax payer when millions of us are out of work and things look bleaker each day. Give me give me, take and take, it will never stop

I have to ask why they are giving the grants.

If it is to help new businesses get started and to bring jobs to rural areas the grant money will eventually be repaid by sales, income and employment taxes. Purchase of new equipment from local suppliers generates new sales tax revenue, buying local bees to fill the hives recirculates the money to the Queen, package and nuc producers.

If the purpose of the grant is to address shrinking bee populations there is value to the agricultural industry by increasing pollination of crops.

If the purpose of the grant is to increase the amount of Virginia honey available for resale and export out of the state new revenue is brought into the state.

Economic stimulus has value, we just need to be clear of it's intended purpose and be able to monitor that the money is properly spent. I would much rather spend the money to help an unemployed person get into the bee business then to pay unemployment, food stamp and welfare benefits.

I agree with your thoughts on Stimulus, but you think we have have had enough of Stimulus? In Virginia for 2012 there was an enormous surplus pertaining to Corporate Taxes, and then Mr. Gov. gave 7/8 of that surplus for Small Business Stimulus, and received nothing from it, so 0 gain, usually that is what you get. Now we have a legislator ready to propose 0 Corporate tax, that will stimulate. But I stand firm that hand outs create a low amount of return if any. The bees in Virginia are dwindling, but I also know of one farmer that I once spoke with that told me he bought 1200.00 of bees each year and they all died each year. Humm sounds as if he didn't just throw his money away, because I am sure that was considered a loss. Now if you save and use your thriftiness and invest your own money, I am sure you will protect it and strive to show a return. Give a man fish and eat for a day, teach a man to fish........
    One has to have a reason or connection to beekeeping, not just because the Government is going to buy your equipment, I bet anything most will receive the grant and do nothing, remember the cost of the bees are not included, this whole thing will be milked like ol Besty in the barn.

Beware of free cheese.....