Default on the fly emergency feeding

i had mentioned in another thread that i have one of my twelve hives in the home yard that has begun brooding in earnest. i think it is because they are running out of winter bees a little sooner than the rest.

as a result they have gone through their one medium of stores (located above their single deep brood chamber) a little faster than the rest. the medium is not empty yet, but very light.

turns out i had a pint of mostly sourwood honey (with a little domino think) that was given to me by a fellow beekeeper last summer. it had crystalized to almost solid in consistancy, but i warmed it back to liquid and attached it to a quail waterer.

this feeder was placed on top and inside an empty box yesterday (we reached mid fifties yesterday, which was warm enough for my bees to break cluster, and there was some cleansing flights taking place).

were getting down below freezing at night, and when i checked the feeder this morning, i discovered that they had taken about half of that pint of honey. the problem was that the honey was now cold and hard as a rock.

i decided they needed a patty, and this is how i prepared it.

in a bowl, i mixed:

the remaining half pint of honey (after rewarming it again)
    i rinsed the pint honey jar with little hot water and added that water to the bowl
    i put about a quarter pint (maybe less) of powdered pollen sub (mann lake ultra bee, 60% crude protein)
    i then added about a half pint of dry sugar, a little at a time, and enough to make a thick but moist paste.

the patty mix was spooned into upside down plastic cool whip lids, about four inched in diameter, and place above the cluster in the empty box, (pushed to the corners).

the feed ended up looking, smelling, and tasting like a cross between baby food and raw cookie dough. i have enough from that small batch to keep them replenished for a while.

it i get a warm enough day, i'll do a more in depth inspection, and if all looks good, i'll rob a medium frame or two of honey from my heaviest hives to give to this one.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: on the fly emergency feeding

Don't want to put you on the spot but in light of recent postings concerning robbing as a potential source of disease do you think it was wise to feed your hives honey from someone elses hives?

i know the source well, and worked that hive with him. it's healthy.

he has it near a lot of sourwood, which was about the only thing in bloom when he put the shallow of drawn comb on to catch it.

i say 'domino' because he likes to feed, (i don't), and it crystalized pretty bad. (maybe sourwood honey does this, i don't know, but it was delicious).

as far as robbing spreading disease,

there is afb, which is bad, but rare.

there are hitchhiking mites and the associated viruses they vector, which is bad, but common.

afb honey would be bad, honey from a mite infested hive wouldn't have mites on it or in it.

perhaps insulate feeder box ? balled newspaper maybe ? hothands taped to feeder @ night ?

top is insulated, not worried about the sides.

i can get extracted honey/syrup down during our warm spells.

but i'm leaning toward giving capped honey as much as possible, just want to make sure they are queenright and healthy (need a warm day for that) before wasting capped honey.