Hybrid View

Default moving hives to trim trees

I need do some radical trimming to my pepper trees. The hives are directly under the trees so I will have to move them (the bees not the trees). As long as I am doing that I also want to re-orientate the hives facing them more southernly. I will also be putting them on an ant proof stand (ala charlie b's design) all of which may take a day or three to accomplish.
    I'm looking for advice on the temp relocation and reinstallation of the hives. I don't have a lot or room but think I could move them 10 or 15 feet while doing the work.
    Last edited by buzz abbott; 01-05-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clarity
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Default Re: moving hives to trim trees

Moving bees more than 2 feet and less than two miles:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm#between
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

How many hives ? distance from old to new location ? identical hives(outward appearance/colony strength) ?
    Comes to mind :
    -tack blue square/red triangle/yellow circle ect... to each hive in advance
    -substitute warm syrup w/ lemon grass spray for smoke in operations add lemongrass oil to feed if feeding
    -if they are going right back in the same place just lock'em in for a day

Thank you both. There are only 2 hives, one 2 mediums and one 5 mediums. I think I can move the small one as a stack. Am I better off moving them as close as I can to where they are now or as far as I can? If I opt to lock them in will it do them any harm if it were for 2 or 3 days?
    Rereading my OP I don't think I made clear that they are going back to the same area after I get the trees trimmed but I will be turning the stand about 45 degrees.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

dangle a 6 pack for your bother in law and knock it out quick Install new stand, move hives, trim tree, relocate hive