Thread: What a year

Default What a year

So I read up for about a year before I got my first bee. I decided to go with TBHs. I bought 2 packages. I screwed up and the first 2 packages absconded on me. I went later in the year and bought 2 more packages to install in my TBHs. Eventually one of them died out, the other took off. Then I found out I suck at carpentry. My TBH was falling apart. So I treated my 1 good hive like a cut out and I transferred it to a medium lang.

That hive is actually thriving now and thanks to out warm weather it is growing. In the spring I have a neighbor ( 15 miles up the road) that is going to let me take a split from his ladies. But, in order to do that I am going to have to go to at least 1 box with deeps. I am thinking about using a deep box with the other hive as well what do you guys think? Also I am going to be making SC foundation, I made molds so I can make wax foundation at 4.9mm. I have just noticed that my girls are making 4.6 mm natural cell size. will 4.9 mess them up?

Default Re: What a year

A deep box would be fine to use but I cannot understand your question entirely; will you be adding supers as well?

I was curious about the foundation molds that you made, could you explain how you created them?
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

me too ...

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    A deep box would be fine to use but I cannot understand your question entirely; will you be adding supers as well?

I was curious about the foundation molds that you made, could you explain how you created them?
    Yes, I will add mediums as needed. The molds I made using SC plastic foundation and 2 part silicone. Haven't tried them yet, I know it is a lot of work but I would prefer to use my wax for any foundation I make.

me too, got pics of molds ? your process ? is that comb in pics built on foundation ?

If I am to understand you correctly the silicone is mixed and poured onto the plastic foundation for an imprint of the cells, when the plastic is removed you have 2 silicone molds to pour hot beeswax onto and the molds are pressed together with the wax between them.

Your Langstroth box arrangement sounds like it would work fine, and during winter you could leave one of the mediums above the deep as a winter stores super.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio