Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs Up Re: New (to me anyway) idea on framing cutouts faster

Quote Originally Posted by tefer2 View Post
    Ha Ha, whats the suitcase for in pic 3?
    You can see the white PVC we used for the vacuum to the left of the (blue) garbage can fastened to a long pole. That blue thing served as a container for catching the combs that came loose during vacuuming. The wind had damaged the structure of the combs and they were fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    ...snip...the appearance of capped queen cells makes me think that some hives could be had by just setting up swarm traps had this colony been left alone.
    Our consensus was that the colony lost the queen when a couple large pieces of comb fell during a thunderstorm, thus, the emergency queen cells in that picture. The homeowner was concerned about safety for the kids that traversed that area, so, the bees were coming down no matter what. I will have swarm traps in the area this Spring: Together, we took five colonies out of trees and water boxes, all in the same area; there must be a bee tree close by.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Lburou- Why do you mount the cutout combs upside down? -js
    I was wanting experience doing this sort of removal. The beekeeper I helped do the job wanted the combs that way, he believes the bees just continue drawing the comb upward from the new comb as it faces the top.

I put the comb in its natural orientation when I am by myself, but I should report that the queen continues to lay in the comb and the bees build it to fill the frame fairly quickly, regardless of the orientation of the comb in the frame. I don't know how much remodeling of the cell structure the bees actually do, but they do well enough and they don't need any supervision by me....I don't think it matters how you put the comb in the frame, the bees adapt and overcome.

I helped get the bees and comb from three very high pecan trees. The bees in this picture were 25' up (the other two were 28' & 35' high). That ladder is about 14' high.

Apologies for hijacking your thread Drew, can't wait to see your results.

Backup 023.jpg
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: New (to me anyway) idea on framing cutouts faster

Maddox,
    Oh it was a scene man ! But when it is real hot I do prefer night, B's can't see, are calm (mostly
    same principle, easily added/secured/removed support
    Lee,
    No worries

I thought bees can see infrared. That means you stick out like a sore thumb in the dark.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

With Lang frames (and I do all of my wood frames foundationless anyway) Fastest easiest at cutout, prep frames with 1" chickenwire. Staple to one side, have enough to wrap around bottom and come up to top bar.

Easiest during cutout NOT easiest to remove. Rubber bands are easiest to remove..

Nighttime removals are for the brave. I've certainly finished one after dark, but I could see what I was dealing with before I started.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Is it not true with a lot of cut outs that the home owner has tried poisons to rid their house of pests?

Cutout"s are about getting paid for you time poisons or not.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

The frames I was referring to was from here http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...tching-frames/
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    Cutout"s are about getting paid for you time poisons or not.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    What does that have to do with not wanting the cut out comb in your hive permanently?
    Brian Cardinal

Is it not true with a lot of cut outs that the home owner has tried poisons to rid their house of pests?
    Lee it looks like what you are working on is mostly empty comb.
    With exposed comb like that it had to be warm enough in the season so the brood didn't need to be covered. Also the appearance of capped queen cells makes me think that some hives could be had by just setting up swarm traps had this colony been left alone.

Did you take us ?? again

I have done a few where I get the bees and queen on drawn comb, place the brood just leaned up above an excluder in an empty box and remove it after the brood has hatched.

Thanks for the reference David.
    Jeffrey Maddox
    www.MaddoxBees.com

Rubber bands work pretty well for me and the best part is that by the time the bees have re-attached the comb to the frames most of the rubber bands have broken and there's very few to remove. The one thing that works great for speeding things up is a helper who can trim and rubber band the comb into place while you're doing the cut out.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    Did you take us ?? again

I don't think so.
    Brian Cardinal

I don't think so.

OK

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Fixed one up, can't get picks off camera, nephew said he'd shoot video, be a whole lot easier, found cloths pins work perfect to both clamp ends of skewers together and support comb from below. I put it up against all comers for quick/cheap/easy (instal. and removal both)
    Drew
    p.s.
    Gypsi - Dot of hot melt glue improves function of chicken wire system

p.s. Think if I was doing lang frames and had 3 hands I would have a few thin slots along top edges, insert comb, wrap package w/ 2-3' length of thin cotton string thru slots, drop in new box
    Last edited by Maryland Beekeeper; 01-09-2013 at 09:57 AM.

I like rubber bands. No extra equipment to buy or build. I can use my regular foundationless frames that I have around anyway. The bees have everything reattached and rubber bands removed in a few days. Last one I did I used 15-20 frames in little time. I wouldn't want to have an extra 100 frames around that I only used for cutouts. That's just me though, I make my wife rubber band all the combs while I hold them so if I had to work by myself I might reconsider making some hinged frames or something.

Default Re: Best way to speed things is to have more hands ;)

You might consider deer or bird netting. I like the bigger mesh of deer netting. I prepare the frames by stapling the netting to one side. Lay down the combs and staple it shut. I have left them in for months and they don't seem to affect the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I guess that your suggestion would work Ace, but it seem to me that it would be simpler to just secure the comb in a frame, place it in a hive and be done with it.

What advantage is there in doing it the way that you have suggested?
    What I like about Ace's idea is that you quickly get comb into the box without knocking bees off when framing them. I've tried a couple ways. One, rubberbands slid over whole frame, and scattering too many bees. Then I tried small nails on frames top and bottom bar and VW rubber bands ahead of time on one side, put in comb and VW rubberbands to secure. I still scatter too many bees but it works better than the first way I did it. My last removal I somehow lost or killed the queen and I've been thinking about how to just put comb in the box no frames, get them home and settled in and then deal with it. It's not the first time I lost a queen in a cut out.

Odfrank, do you have problems with comb squishing or tipping over onto bees? (post #29)
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Wow, Olly, I never thought of using the netting for that. I have searched for quick effective ways to fix comb from cutouts into frames, but that's a slick idea. I'll hafta try it.

I don't worry much about scattered bees as much anymore. That's why I built a bee vacuum that vaccuums them onto a set of combs already in a super. I can tie the comb in minus the bees, put it in a super and slap it ontop of the bees I've vaccuumed up. The vaccuum is kind of bulky that way though (about the size of two mediums on a bottom board), but it holds a lot of bees and has a long hose. Vaccuumed very well, but the only time I got to try it was on a late fall cutout that was chocked full of honey. Lost too many bees due to getting to close to the combs. I'm thinking of adding some sort of brush to it to avoid picking up sticky goodness.

Odfrank, do you have problems with comb squishing or tipping over onto bees? (post #29)

I vacuum the bees and let them crawl up onto the combs. The net is stretched tight so the combs do not tip. I staple with a stapler made for wires, U shaped staple. On medium frames rubber bands work fine and the bees remove them PDQ.