Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/8 gone

Default 5/8 gone

Well it is official, I have lost 5 of my 8 hives so far this fall/winter. All of my 2nd and 3rd season hives are gone, and am just left with my 3 1st season gals. 2 were lost in the fall to mites, and I am sure that played a large role in the last 3's demise. The final straw was the cold snap we have been having. These last 3 starved within centimeters of food, 2 with honey on the same frame as the cluster. The clusters were a little less than basketball size. I guess I need to find some northern treatment free queens for next years rebuild.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Default Re: 5/8 gone

Not cool. Sorry for your loss. Ive never used them, but Olympic Wilderness Apiaries advertises Northwest survivor stock. Might give them a try.....

Ive lost several of my double deeps. All my double deep nuc boxes are doing well though... I dont usually dont get into the mite treating but maybe i should start.

Why didn't you kill the mites bro?

I think the coldest I've ever been is in Baker about 6 winters ago. Sorry about your hives.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I think the coldest I've ever been is in Baker about 6 winters ago. Sorry about your hives.
    It has been cold this winter, particularly where I live (15 miles north of Baker City), we run 5-10 degrees colder than the city proper. Last winter we never got below 0, and Thursday we hit -8. I don't think it has been above 40 F in several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Not cool. Sorry for your loss. Ive never used them, but Olympic Wilderness Apiaries advertises Northwest survivor stock. Might give them a try.....
    I plan on ordering some next week. I am also going to try Old Sol. I was planning on expanding next year with splits and buying some more packages/nucs. I guess I will have to use the ones I already have ordered to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by stajerc61 View Post
    Why didn't you kill the mites bro?
    Look at the forum title...

Rio we have been colder than you this winter. We have been down to -17. We went into the winter with 18 hives, 14 full size and 4 nucs. They all are doing very well with strong populations, but we treat our mites. Old Sol has some very good bees. Good Luck!
    Dave

Thought losing bees was accepted as part of the TF plan. Then you have to rebuild from mite tolerant ones, until (hopefully), you end up with bees that will be OK. But you'll still always likely have losses bigger than if you treated.

At least I guess, losing hives through winter like yours, the hives are unlikely to get robbed and therefore not spread mites to the other hives.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

That's too bad but that's the nature of the beast. I think I lost a weak hive to the cold but I'm not going to check it until spring. The drawn comb will work well in swarm traps.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I know we have not had a day warm enough for the bees to fly in 4 weeks now here in Reno. It is much colder here than is normal. Today will barely hit 40 normal for this time of year is 60.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Thought losing bees was accepted as part of the TF plan. Then you have to rebuild from mite tolerant ones, until (hopefully), you end up with bees that will be OK. But you'll still always likely have losses bigger than if you treated.
    Yes I expect to take losses, it still stinks. I do not think I am going to stumble on mite tolerant bees on my own, starting from standard treated bees, the odds and numbers do not add up for a small time hobbyist. I do think the odds of find a supplier who has done this work and can produce such bees is much better.

While replacing from local suppliers who "have done the work" is a great suggestion, I would additionally recommend splitting from the best of your survivors. Doing both will help make the apiary more sustainable.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Ever Forward Rio! Don't let it get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    Yes I expect to take losses, it still stinks. I do not think I am going to stumble on mite tolerant bees on my own, starting from standard treated bees, the odds and numbers do not add up for a small time hobbyist. I do think the odds of find a supplier who has done this work and can produce such bees is much better.
    Yes absolutely, that's what I was getting at although probably didn't express it properly.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

just a hunch on my part, but with all of the genetic variation involved with open mating, i don't think i would ever count on getting mite resistant bees.

if queens are grafted from and mated with bees with known resistance, well, that's a start.

but with all of the variability in the gene pool out there, each queen and the colony she produces is going to have to be evaluated on an individual basis.

what is done with those colonies that don't have the right stuff is where the rubber meets the road. jmho.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    what is done with those colonies that don't have the right stuff is where the rubber meets the road. jmho.
    Keeping in mind what forum we are in what suggestions would you have. They built up well in the spring, had a good population all summer and went into the winter with plenty of stores without feeding. The population was pretty good when I did my final check in October.

Some are doing late splits to go into winter as nucs, really seems to help. Doing what you can to prevent the mites reaching an apex in their breeding cycle in Fall is the treatment free strategy I would aim for. Brood breaks or a drone comb frame to help keep mites down.

Keeping in mind what forum we are in what suggestions would you have. They built up well in the spring, had a good population all summer and went into the winter with plenty of stores without feeding. The population was pretty good when I did my final check in October.
    rio, now that you know what mite loads your bees can and cannot tolerate, you are one step in the right direction toward a plan to prevent a repeat of this year.

fall is a tough time to turn one around. better to take action before then if you can tell from your mite loads that you need to take action.

i'm still working on it, but my plan is to have enough strong nucs around to be able to requeen and/or combine any suspicious (high mites) hives before the fall brooding up for winter bees.

if i have to requeen and/or combine a mite infested colony, i would use powdered sugar to dislodge as many mites as i could first.

if it was too late in the season to requeen and/or combine, i would again consider powdered sugar, but i wouldn't rule out some of the other 'organic' options. (would not use synthetic miticides under any circumstance). this colony then, would be requeened in the spring at the first opportunity, or split up into nucs for the next batch of queens.

My plan is to have nuc made up next summer and try to over winter them. It was the plan this past summer, but life got in the way. I am also going to queen the summer nucs with a variety of "resistant" stock from different breeders. What makes the next winter will be used to expand next year. One of the early losses was combined in with one of the 3 that are still going (I still count it as a loss). As tempting as some of the softer treatment are I am not willing to use them. My goal is to be able to be 100% self sufficient and sustainable and that can only be done if I can produce the treatment. I have planted Thyme and Hops and will work on using extracts, but have not done the research to accomplish refinement needed.

good plan rio, very interesting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast