Thread: 5/8 gone

Hybrid View

Default 5/8 gone

Well it is official, I have lost 5 of my 8 hives so far this fall/winter. All of my 2nd and 3rd season hives are gone, and am just left with my 3 1st season gals. 2 were lost in the fall to mites, and I am sure that played a large role in the last 3's demise. The final straw was the cold snap we have been having. These last 3 starved within centimeters of food, 2 with honey on the same frame as the cluster. The clusters were a little less than basketball size. I guess I need to find some northern treatment free queens for next years rebuild.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Default Re: 5/8 gone

Not cool. Sorry for your loss. Ive never used them, but Olympic Wilderness Apiaries advertises Northwest survivor stock. Might give them a try.....

Ive lost several of my double deeps. All my double deep nuc boxes are doing well though... I dont usually dont get into the mite treating but maybe i should start.

Why didn't you kill the mites bro?

I think the coldest I've ever been is in Baker about 6 winters ago. Sorry about your hives.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I think the coldest I've ever been is in Baker about 6 winters ago. Sorry about your hives.
    It has been cold this winter, particularly where I live (15 miles north of Baker City), we run 5-10 degrees colder than the city proper. Last winter we never got below 0, and Thursday we hit -8. I don't think it has been above 40 F in several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Not cool. Sorry for your loss. Ive never used them, but Olympic Wilderness Apiaries advertises Northwest survivor stock. Might give them a try.....
    I plan on ordering some next week. I am also going to try Old Sol. I was planning on expanding next year with splits and buying some more packages/nucs. I guess I will have to use the ones I already have ordered to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by stajerc61 View Post
    Why didn't you kill the mites bro?
    Look at the forum title...
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Rio we have been colder than you this winter. We have been down to -17. We went into the winter with 18 hives, 14 full size and 4 nucs. They all are doing very well with strong populations, but we treat our mites. Old Sol has some very good bees. Good Luck!
    Dave

Thought losing bees was accepted as part of the TF plan. Then you have to rebuild from mite tolerant ones, until (hopefully), you end up with bees that will be OK. But you'll still always likely have losses bigger than if you treated.

At least I guess, losing hives through winter like yours, the hives are unlikely to get robbed and therefore not spread mites to the other hives.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).