Thread: Deeps to Medium

Default Deeps to Medium

Planning on just adding mediums with frames and strips below the deeps, until all deeps full of honey, harvested and then gone. Sound like a good plan?

Default Re: Deeps to Medium

Let me guess... You are wanting to convert from deeps to mediums only?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Actually a friend of mine asked about it. I have too many deeps at this point to convert all of them even if I wanted to. (well not really, but I am too lazy to do it). He is wanting to convert his two hives.

You can do that, or you can go the opposite way -- do splits by boxes if you have two deeps, use mediums on top of it. In the spring when they are in the top boxes, just remove the bottom deep and extract any honey in it. Replace it with mediums on top. Might take a couple years if you have two deeps and don't want to make walkaway splits by the box, only getting rid of one at a time, but it will work.

Peter

My preference would depend on the time of year. Come spring you will probably have an entire empty deep box you can pull then. If you put the mediums on the bottom, then yes, you may have an entire full deep you can harvest in the fall...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In my case I wanted the honey gone out of the deep frames because my extractor will not handle deeps so I pulled out the empty box on the bottom in the spring. The next year I did the same thing but then ran out of equipment when making splits and had to use the deeps again. Next spring I will put the bottom box out again and use the other deep for someone else's hive if it survives.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping