Default How do you identify robbing?

I often hear people talk about "robbing." I understand that robbing is bees from another colony robbing your colony. Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know when this is taking place? Are there just a mass of bees outside the hive?

Default Re: How do you identify robbing?

When robbing starts they will be bees fighting at the entrance but some times they can be over run and no fighting can be seen you can go look when it is almost dark a hive being robbed will have alot of still comeing and going when a normal have will not

A video is worth a thousand words. The first sign is way more activity in the entrance than would be normal. If the camera was back a bit further you would be able to spot the robbers as bees both hovering and nervously darting near the hive looking for a direct path in. You will also see some that arent robbers that are carrying pollen sacs that are calmly landing and walking around looking for an entry. The nervous bees just above the screen on the box are robbers as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sud_VzPgJwA
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

When you see bees flying around the top and sides of the hive looking for a way in you can be almost 100% sure they are robbers and the hive is either dead or in trouble

If they are wearing masks and carrying weapons they are robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    When you see bees flying around the top and sides of the hive looking for a way in you can be almost 100% sure they are robbers and the hive is either dead or in trouble
    agreed. the robbing bees will be trying to get into the cracks between the boxes and underneath the top cover. the buzzing will be much louder than normal around the hive. look for bees on the ground just below the entrance, sometimes dead, sometimes injured, you'll see your bees wrestling the robbers off the landing board and falling to the ground.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks all! i will go watch the videon now

I remember reading once...Dust the bees that are entering and leaving the hive you think is being robbed, with flour. You can then follow the white bees back to their hive. If they're flying home to other hives, they're robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I remember reading once...Dust the bees that are entering and leaving the hive you think is being robbed, with flour. You can then follow the white bees back to their hive. If they're flying home to other hives, they're robbers.
    I'd try that........that is if I ever had any robbing events.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Good robbing video SallyD. Notice the activity and fighting going on.

From E. B. Wedmore:

" Now a flying bee with empty honey sac flies with legs extended behind, whereas a loaded bee bends the hind legs to bring them forward."
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Before it starts they buzz around quickly and nervously. When bees start robbing it is similar to black Friday when the stores open up for the day. It can be pretty hard to stop it once it starts! Best advice I have is not to leave frames of honey out while going through hives and close the lids. If it does start, smoke 'em good and stuff some grass in the entrances of the hives that are being robbed. If it gets too bad it's time to go home.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

"One issue is being sure they are being robbed. Sometimes people mistake an afternoon orientation flight with robbing. Every warm, sunny afternoon during brood rearing you'll see young bees orienting. They will hover and fly around the hive. This is easily mistaken for robbers who also hover around a hive. But with practice you'll learn what young bees look like doing this. Young bees are fuzzy. Young bees are calm compared to robbers. Look at the entrance. Robbers are in a frenzy. Local bees might have a traffic jam at the entrance but they will still be orderly. Wrestling at the entrance is pretty much a give away, but lack of fighting at the entrance does not prove they are not being robbed, it just proves they have overcome the guard bees. One SURE way to tell if they are being robbed is to wait for dark and close the entrance. Any bees in the morning who show up trying to get in are probably robbers. Especially if there are a lot of them."
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post

Good robbing video SallyD. Notice the activity and fighting going on.
    Great video Beeman...thank you!!

Thank you Michael!! BTW....I just bought your book yesterday on Amazon...cannot wait to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm

"One issue is being sure they are being robbed. Sometimes people mistake an afternoon orientation flight with robbing. Every warm, sunny afternoon during brood rearing you'll see young bees orienting. They will hover and fly around the hive. This is easily mistaken for robbers who also hover around a hive. But with practice you'll learn what young bees look like doing this. Young bees are fuzzy. Young bees are calm compared to robbers. Look at the entrance. Robbers are in a frenzy. Local bees might have a traffic jam at the entrance but they will still be orderly. Wrestling at the entrance is pretty much a give away, but lack of fighting at the entrance does not prove they are not being robbed, it just proves they have overcome the guard bees. One SURE way to tell if they are being robbed is to wait for dark and close the entrance. Any bees in the morning who show up trying to get in are probably robbers. Especially if there are a lot of them."

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Thank you Michael!! BTW....I just bought your book yesterday on Amazon...cannot wait to get it!
    Michael how can we get it on Kindle?

Thank you for requesting The Practical Beekeeper Volume I, II & III Beekeeping Naturally by Michael Bush (Author) in Kindle Edition. Our goal is to make every title available for Kindle. We will pass your specific request on to the publisher.

>Michael how can we get it on Kindle?

http://www.bushfarms.com/xstar.htm#T...al%20Beekeeper

Order the .MOBI format.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF