Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Big demand for ai service

10K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Davidnewbeeboxbuilder 
#1 ·
Doing artifical insemination for other people in demand much.

#3 ·
Could be. If you are offering to do for people you need to explain more because you are clearing new ground.
What bees would you be doing.
Or, are you offering to have people send their virgins to you along with their drones. You AI and then send them back.

#8 ·
Its just a way to breed queens earlyer and later than normal.people offer to bring there virgins and drones and ii and i was wandering how many people would like to look at the queen in a nuc before they buy them and the patern of coarse.
Apricate the replys and im on a cellphone and its hard to hit buttons.

#10 ·
David, I am looking into II Instrumental Insemination (Not AI Artificial Insemination by the way)
I have heard many people that perform it say they inseminate queens for others. I have no idea what is involved in doing so. I do know there are a lot of issues surrounding the drones. basically they are fragile and will died in a very short time when stressed or removed from the care of workers. You can collect semen and it will remain good for several days in capillary tubes.

#12 ·
BeeCurious. For now I am looking into getting the Instrument and the training. that is about $5000 depending on travel costs. probably more. I will then inseminate my queens to develop my technique. trash practice queens is what I consider them. Once my skill is up to speed I will be looking for breeder quality stock. another big cost. I am giving myself 4 years to get it all done. II training is looking like it will not happen until 2014. Two years to build an apiary capable of supporting breeder quality queens and then see what I can do with selection and crosses.
I took my first tour for land yesterday in a huge valley North of Reno. Found a couple of lots I love. Not so in live with the prices. But filling that valley with my bees could make an isolated or nearly isolated open mating zone. I could end up not only queen breeding but queen rearing as well.
As I follow the path of II I will also be developing my queen rearing methods. that starts this next spring. Hopefully selling a few queens will help pay for the II. We will see.

#14 ·
Right now 4, and that is in a back yard in town. I just went out and checked them. some scattered bees dead on the bottom board but nothing that says they are dead yet. We are right now at about a month since the bees have been able to fly. Very cold for this area so far.

#16 ·
Another thing to consider say u buy a breeder queen for 100. Say shes good u buy 10 and requeen ur hives and the daughters dont have the same spunk because somebody around u treats and props up dead beats bees. So if u can instrumental inseminate. Buy two queens and raise the other 8 how many times do u buy breeder queens to pay for ii equipment. I like the fact of experminating with diffrent lines and the ability reproduce it and results. Not to mention . How Many.people love that tittle.THA BEE MAN

#17 ·
David, A Breeder Queen has a pourpose. I suppose you could buy them to requeen hives if you want to go to that expense. A breeder Queen is a queen that the genetics have been selected and controlled to a high degree. as much as is possible. She is the queen you would want to graft more queens from. She is what makes the typical $20 to $30 queen. I realize people will pay that same $20 to $30 for just any old mutt queen. Their money their choice. Chihuahua puppies sell for as much as $1500. I just had three Chihuahua Terrier mix puppies born. You interested in one for $1500? By the way they are only worth $300 at most, they are mutts. I will sell them for $1500 ea though all I need to do is find 3 people that have no idea what they are worth. I believe to some degree that is how $30 mutt queens are being sold also.

For me an II Breeder Queen is one to graft a bunch of queens from and then select from those the queens that will become my breeding stock. I will also produce as many $20 to $30 queens from an II queen as I can. Keep in mind for every queen I produce and sell I have the cost of the equipment to produce her.

#18 ·
When I think of II Queens, the words "expensive" and "short lived" come to mind.

Before jumpinmg into II learn how to keep bees.

David, is this simply an intellectual exercise or priliminary research prior to the development of a business plan? I can't imagine that there is enuf II business to pay for itself, it would have to be part of a larger business plan.

#20 ·
All the plants that woudl be native to Sagebrush Grassland, Pinyon-Juniper Woodland, Mountain Shrub, As well as the plants that grow around the springs and marshlands that support the native wild horses population. In addition this is a valley that has been under development for 40 years and quite a bit of Alfalfa growing is in the area. The entire valley is roughly parceled into 40 acre lots. many of them have houses built on them and landscaping.

Bees are also not the only reason I am getting this land. and far from the primary consideration in selecting it. If the bees work there that is fine. if not oh well something else will.

One of the lots is on top of a shallow hill at the edge of the large valley. behind it and right at the California boarder is a small valley with a natural spring. the entire bottom of that valley. about a half mile across and 2 to 3 miles long is a marshland. No idea what all grows in there.

#26 ·
Not in it for money. Dang phone suxks.in it to piddle. Maintaining diffrent lines to hybraid cross them for honey production. Ganna use latshaw to main tain full lines and play with them I like to uncapp a few supers 2.see what does best. And if a breeder queen is open mated she could lay anything. And I like both italians and blacks but like the idea of hybraid vigor. I wish u could get rich off bees.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.