Thread: Nailers

Default Nailers

Hey me again! So I was reading through a book, cant remember which one but I am going to say it was either Dummies, or Idiots. They mentioned that the nailers/staplers used for putting frames together are different then a normal brad nailer/ stapler? Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference?

Default Re: Nailers

Mine is just a 1/4" crown stapler.

Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Brad nailers use 16 or 18 gauge wire nails, which are light duty. But they should be strong enough for frames.

You would need a heavier duty framing nailer if you want to nail boxes or bigger stuff. They shoot nails big enough to frame houses.

I use the above stapler for everything, frames and boxes I just change the length of the staple I use....and I glue everything.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I use a stapler to put all my frames together and I nail all my hives and supers together

Quote Originally Posted by pom51 View Post
    I use a stapler to put all my frames together and I nail all my hives and supers together
    I use a brad nailer, glue and after I finish I use 1 5/8 inch sheet rock screws on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    I use the above stapler for everything, frames and boxes I just change the length of the staple I use....and I glue everything.
    Ditto. Use the same gear.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Is that a 16 or 18 gauge nailer?

I screw my boxes together with nice exterior deck screws. I would think over time, the extra abuse on the boxes would work light gauge stuff loose, even with the glue. Staples may be stronger.

Wide crown staples for the boxes. Narrow crown for the frames. Glue everywhere. For me, brads are too small.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Honestly, my take is that the glue will hold better than any staple or nail. The fasteners are just to hold everything in place until the glue dries completely.

So I worked in a cabinet shop for quite awhile and am pretty familiar around my wood products. Thanks for the help. I was just completely confused having books say you need special nails, and seeing special nailers for sale, hence why I questioned! Thanks guys!