Hybrid View

Default wanted:opinions on VSH hybrids

I am considering VSH hybrid queens for doing spring splits this coming year, and I would like to hear pro's and con's of hives headed by those queens. Mostly looking for comments on productivity, temperament, build up, brood pattern, and whether you noticed an improvement in mite population compared to non-VSH bees. Thanks, John.

Default Re: wanted:opinions on VSH hybrids

Likely any $20-$30 queen is open mated so you don't really know what your truly getting. Adding genetics to your yard is good though. VSH are know for mite cleaning so I too maybe adding these to my yard this spring.

My understanding is that the vsh hybrids are open mated with whatever drones happen to be around, they still have good varroa hygiene, but not as good as pure vsh queens, which are control mated with vsh drones. What do pure vsh queens sell for? John

A lab inseminated breeder queen is probably couple hundred

jmgi - did you search vsh queens on here? There is lots of information about VSH queens and their hygienic characteristics. Pure VSH queens are like having a thoroughbred race horse in a childs pony walk - way too much power to run a production hive.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

I figured pure bred queens were expensive, that is why I am considering the open mated queens. I will try searching for more information, just thought I could get some quick comments here. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    My understanding is that the vsh hybrids are open mated with whatever drones happen to be around,
    I don't beleive that is exactly true. Most people running a real breeding project spend as much time working to influnce the drone population in their breeding area as they do raising the queens.
    Old Guy in Alabama

VSH hybrid queens
    One problem in responding your question is that VSH hybrids means different things to different people. To me VSH hybrids means Pol-Line queens, and queens by VP Queens. Pol-line are not pure VSH, but come from VSH crosses and evaluated under by experts using selection criteria that results in great bees. This, to me, is different than daughters from II VSH queens that are simply open mated, which I'm sure to others means VSH hybrid. I suspect that I'm abusing the language a bit here, but its probably more important to know which bees you are actually talking about. Name the supplier and you'll likely get much better and more specific feedback. I've not had much success with pure VSH bees - I've tried a bunch and overall not great bees. Now, Pol-Line queens are a whole different story, at least for me. Pol-line bees are some of the best I've ever had - great producers, mite resistant, gentle, overwinter well. It is really too bad that Glenn is no longer in business. Hopefully some one will fill that void with the same professionalism that Tom and Suki demonstrated.
    Last edited by AstroBee; 01-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

AstroBee, From the little research I have done on vsh, I know that there have been vsh queens developed by several different people, and therefore the genetics are not all the same, so their characteristics will vary somewhat. I can't specify which particular vsh hybrid I am interested in at this point, I just know that I am interested in bringing in something new that will be able to deal with varroa better than my non-vsh bees. The Pol-Line queens from what you describe, sound very good to me. Thanks for your reply. John

The Pol-Line queens from what you describe, sound very good to me. Thanks for your reply. John
    Jmgi - I don't think you can go wrong with Pol-Line... They are getting hard to find though.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Check with Dan Harvey, Olympic Wilderness Apiarys.
    http://www.owa