Default The Foolery of Using Pallet Wood For Bee Equipment

This was beautiful 7/8" cedar 1 X 5, primed painted and glued. But, it was such new growth, a bit pithy and unstable, that it shrank and expanded so much it would not hold paint. The T & G joints open and close by 1/4", Western covers leak. Some have rotted and grown fungus in less than five years. $100 saved on lumber, $1000 of labor wasted. Go ahead, Charlie...tell them what a cheapskate I am.

Default Re: The Foolery of Using Pallet Wood For Bee Equipment

Cedar, due to it's natural rot and insect resistant properties was not designed to hold paint. Stain yes... primer and paint...no.
    Not for long anyway. lol
    Proof is in your pics above.

I get what you're saying, but some people have more time than money, and might look at the free material for the boxes and such as their only way to expand, rather than saying I will only have a couple hives because i cant afford qaulity boxes, they think i'll have as many as I want and replace my "free" boxes as needed, my opinion anyways, a low/no cost hive is better than no hive

Pallet wood also has a lot of dirt and other junk embedded in it and can be really hard on saw blades and planer knves.

Kiln dried cedar works well... Most of my boxes are western red cedar and have been holding paint better than any pine box.

Can't say I blame your for trying Olly!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

The label "27th" on your first photo. Is that the 27th dead hive you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    The label "27th" on your first photo. Is that the 27th dead hive you have?
    It is a dead hive. It was a swarm caught on 27th Ave., which is a hotbed neighborhood for swarm catching. Lots of local bee club members living in the area. I have been using waterproof paper for my hive labels.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    It is a dead hive. It was a swarm caught on 27th Ave., which is a hotbed neighborhood for swarm catching. Lots of local bee club members living in the area. I have been using waterproof paper for my hive labels.
    If that's San Mateo you're talking about stay away from 31st. Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    If that's San Mateo you're talking about stay away from 31st. Ave.
    Charlie you are ten years to late again. The Hillsdale neighborhood produces more swarms than all of San Francisco. I have several sites there because there are so many swarms flying into my bait hives I don't have time to move them away. Now that your site is on 31st it will even improve more. There are several guys there who must have their whole back yards devoted to swarm pitchers, now you are there also. Great. If I stand on the intersection of 31st and Alameda with some swarm lure in my hand in April I will catch a swarm every half hour. Welcome to the hood.

I've never seen pallet wood I'd use for much besides pallets. Almost always junk.

Sapwood of any species isn't particularly rot resistant, it has lots of starch in it and fungus loves it, it has very little lignin, and the vessels are wide open since sap or water is moving constantly in it. Usually also quite soft.

Pallets are made from junk small trees that aren't good for any other sort of lumber, at least in the US. Fresh new growth conifer sapwood rots so fast you can watch it, and it also tends to shrink in strange ways. The center of any tree is soft, fast grown wood, and everyone I know who does anything with cutting lumber cuts it out. You can see this in box store pine boards -- when you get a center cut one, you can see the needle scars and you can dig out the "wood" with a thumbnail in many cases. Worthless if ever exposed to water for any length of time.

If you have the time and inclination, you can re-cycle pallet lumber into boxes, but they won't last long, they will leak, and you will be making boxes forever. Save a few dimes up and buy decent lumber and they will last decades longer.

Or suit yourself!

Peter