Bit of back ground..... I'm in Australia and the gum nectar flow is just starting to really get going in my area, the bees I have are Italian "Lingustica" honey bees oh and this is my first foray into bee keeping though I remember helping my Grandfather when I was a child more than 30 years and a different country ago....

Ok so I received some Lang frames (2x stores and 3x brood) from a friend plus ~1.5kg of bees. I cropped the combs to fit my top bars and now ~one week later added a bought queen one day ago. I'm wondering when can I remove the zip ties I used to hold the combs in place? I ask as the bees are actively sticking the bars together with a mix of wax and propolis, the gaps between them are ~4mm (1/8") to 6mm (1/4") in places, and some bees are now using the vent gap between the roof and hive body as an entrance.

They haven't started to lay new comb on the blank top bars as yet as I think there is still lots of room in the combs I transferred. The hive is a 13 bar "swarm capture" box I built to get started with. When I see them drawing new comb on the blank bars I'll move them over to the 30 bar hive I have in reserve.

Oh how do I post images? I keep getting a red dot with exclamation mark......

Thanks all.

Cheers, Thomas J.