Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Well, it is winter and I have a mouse in my hive!

Kill it and dont give it a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I use Victors. I've accidentally tripped them and mine will put a bruise on your finger. Now...I dare ya. Set one and trip it with your tongue. I'd dare you to test it on ol' Fido's tongue...but he doesn't deserve it.

As I advised the op...I'd run the mouse out and put a guard on the entrance.
    Ive never bruised my fingers setting off the small mouse sized Victor traps, ever. Now I might have some localized swelling if I was to set off a rat sized trap, but thats a different story!!

As for a dog getting a SMALL mouse sized Victor trap stuck on its tongue..........cant see it happening. The springs are weak and a dog will step on it with its paw and pull it right off. A rat trap might hurt it a bit though.

As for me sticking my tongue on a trap..........I know better and it would probably hurt like heck..........and you have to remember, animals are A LOT tougher than humans are, well, some humans anyhow!!

I met an old trapper while goose hunting up in Tule Lake, CA. We talked for well over an hour about everything under the sun. He had some dead muskrats in the back of his truck and some boards piled up, I asked him how he traps the muskrats and what the boards with a nail protruding from the center of it is for? He took a board (it also had #1 leg traps attached to it) and put a piece of turnip on the nail, then he set one of the traps and proceded to explain what happens.........then all of a sudden the crazy fella dropped his thumb down on the pan and set the trap off!!! I jumped back probably 5 foot with eyes as big as saucers!! Him and my buddies were rolling with laughter while he opened the trap to remove his thumb!!

I say just trap the sucker on your landing board to the hive, a dead mouse is a good mouse.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Shaun,
    shovel the 18inches of snow off the top of your hive, tilt the hive back on the bottom board and the mouse will probably run out. Stick your hive tool up between the frames and drag the nest out from between the frames. The bees will be so tightly clustered that they won't bother you. Then set things back in place and add an entrance reducer to keep mice from coming back.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Stick a flashlight in the entrance and find him, then shoot him with a low powered BB gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    Stick a flashlight in the entrance and find him, then shoot him with a low powered BB gun.
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid!!"
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid!!"
    Then wear safety glasses

Do you use hammers to kill flys Widdy? How many of y'all have BB guns?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

That might ricochet off and kill one of the bees. Use a trap or poison.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I have a small collection of about 25 vintage air rifles of different power levels and 15 pistols. Some even shoot BB's, mostly just pellets.

Well, there's one person. Would you please ship the appropriate weapon to Morristown?

Maybe Widdy was being sarcastic.

No I use a shot gun for flies, you should see the wall in my house. I then take that dead fly and have it mounted and hang it on my wall like a trophy near the back door. other flies see what could happen to them and they just stay out of my house.

A BB gun is $20 at Walmart. A weak BB gun serves multiple purposes. It kills small objects in tight places, can stop the neighbors dogs for killing my chickens without wounding them, ect.

I wasn't kidding about shooting it.

I had a gorilla crab in my 150 gal saltwater reef tank that was eating my fish and I could not catch him. A local saltwater store said one of there customers had one and stuck a BB gun in there tank and just shot it. It was either that or drain and empty the tank. It ended up dying while I was in Iraq after eating a few hundred dollars worth of fish.

Things are only as dangerous as you allow them to be.
    Last edited by Widdy; 01-05-2013 at 08:37 AM.

How many shots do you think the average person, not someone trained in firearms, would have to take to kill a mouse w/ a BB gun? I kill mice w/ my hive tool. It usually takes more than one whack. How many BBs does it take to kill a mouse, if you can hit it? I bet a mouse can take more than one body shot before dying.

You can use one of these. This will ONLY catch mice! I build lots of them.

0105131403.jpg

Bait and set your mouse trap and set it inside a large mouth quart jar. Cut a small portion of the lid off so that just a mouse can get into the jar. Place the lid on the jar and attach it with the jar cap (referred to as a ring). I do that in my flower beds to keep from catching small birds. It will work.

Where is there any room in a single story beehive for any of these devices? Keep it simple.

Right on the front porch. Or you can place it on the ground somewhere close to the hive.

How many shots do you think the average person, not someone trained in firearms, would have to take to kill a mouse w/ a BB gun? I kill mice w/ my hive tool. It usually takes more than one whack. How many BBs does it take to kill a mouse, if you can hit it? I bet a mouse can take more than one body shot before dying.
    Excellent safety point Mark. Everyone needs to understand how to user THEIR power tools safely and correctly before operating them. We see this as common sense and often dont give it much thought, but all too often people are hurt, or hurt others from misuse of tools or simply not understanding the safety issues involved with such tools.

Regardless of the tool being used to get rid of said mouse, I know it has been mentioned twice on this thread but heres a third. REMEMBER your MOUSE GUARD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12