Hybrid View

Default Well, it is winter and I have a mouse in my hive!

Hi all,
    I can still here the bees humming, but I see cappings and grass around in the entrance of the hive. The hive is one deep tall. Any thoughts on what I can do? Wait for warm day? Trap out with peanut butter? I hear mice leave the hive at night, is that true?

Thanks
    Shaun

Default Re: Well, it is winter and I have a mouse in my hive!

Mice are mostly nocturnal. Place a nice big ole mousetrap baited with peanut butter on the front porch of the hive. Get that little bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Place a nice big ole mousetrap baited with peanut butter on the front porch of the hive.
    Careful here....what if the neighbor's dog finds it first? Or a raccoon or skunk? On a warm day...chase it out and put a mouseguard on...would be my advice.....of course with my luck it'll move into the house
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I know they make mousetraps with the trap inside a little black plastic box so nothing can get into it except what you want to get into it. John

Careful here....what if the neighbor's dog finds it first? Or a raccoon or skunk?

Either way it would be near the hive someplace. lol

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Careful here....what if the neighbor's dog finds it first? Or a raccoon or skunk? On a warm day...chase it out and put a mouseguard on...would be my advice.....of course with my luck it'll move into the house
    I put bigger traps than that out and raccoons and skunks gets skinned, dogs sit their till I let them out. If they resist, I have a choke stick on them and hold the head away till I release the foot. You should be fine with a mouse trap.

Or get a cat

Mouse trap will not worry anything bigger than a mouse. Might sting a bit but that is all.
    Cheers
    Rob

If you are worried about protecting larger animals, I have used a home-made version of the plastic boxes with a lot of success. It also turned out to be a lot more humane to the mice.

I have a pet rabbit that runs around the house. He chases mice, but he's old and blind... I wanted to put traps out, but had concerns about the rabbit getting a broken foot.

Solution:

Take a small (6x6x2 inch) cardboard box, cut 2x1inch holes on either side forming a tunnel. Place a standard snap trap inside up against one of the holes (I prefer the ones with the big plastic triggers). Place your newly formed tunnel up against a wall.

I don't even bait mine. I've watched a mouse see the box, head directly for it, and cannot resist going through the tunnel. As for humane, I haven't had a maimer since using this method.

Obviously cardboard is the wrong material for outside use...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    You should be fine with a mouse trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
    Mouse trap will not worry anything bigger than a mouse. Might sting a bit but that is all.
    I’m not sure what kind of mousetraps you use but those I use are powerful enough to nearly cut a mouse in half. Otherwise...what's the point?
    A raccoon, skunk, possum or whatever will run away with the trap clamped on their tongue. When they finally get it off, much of their tongue will be lost and they will likely die. They depend on those tongues. Your neighbor’s dog? She may make it home with the trap still on….and will likely have to be put down. Have you ever seen a dog lap water with half a tongue?
    I am amazed at this advice.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

If it get above 45 deg go in and get him. If it get away it might come back.

Top entrence will keep mice out and make it hard for skunks to feed.

Shaun,
    shovel the 18inches of snow off the top of your hive, tilt the hive back on the bottom board and the mouse will probably run out. Stick your hive tool up between the frames and drag the nest out from between the frames. The bees will be so tightly clustered that they won't bother you. Then set things back in place and add an entrance reducer to keep mice from coming back.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Stick a flashlight in the entrance and find him, then shoot him with a low powered BB gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    Stick a flashlight in the entrance and find him, then shoot him with a low powered BB gun.
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid!!"
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    "You'll shoot your eye out kid!!"
    Then wear safety glasses

Do you use hammers to kill flys Widdy? How many of y'all have BB guns?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I have a small collection of about 25 vintage air rifles of different power levels and 15 pistols. Some even shoot BB's, mostly just pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    No I use a shot gun for flies, you should see the wall in my house. I then take that dead fly and have it mounted and hang it on my wall like a trophy near the back door. other flies see what could happen to them and they just stay out of my house.

A BB gun is $20 at Walmart. A weak BB gun serves multiple purposes. It kills small objects in tight places, can stop the neighbors dogs for killing my chickens without wounding them, ect.

I wasn't kidding about shooting it.

I had a gorilla crab in my 150 gal saltwater reef tank that was eating my fish and I could not catch him. A local saltwater store said one of there customers had one and stuck a BB gun in there tank and just shot it. It was either that or drain and empty the tank. It ended up dying while I was in Iraq after eating a few hundred dollars worth of fish.

Things are only as dangerous as you allow them to be.
    Last edited by Widdy; 01-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.

That might ricochet off and kill one of the bees. Use a trap or poison.