Question Help with yard placement and location

Hello bee sourcers!

As I get started with studying topic on the forums here as well as a few publications and internet searches - I need some help placing the hives in my yard.

I live on 1/2 acre, established area, very few kids. I'd like to attach a few photos with hope you can help me place the hives. I have a 6' concrete fence all the way around my property. I have checked my county and city rules, I have to pay 10 dollars a year for a apiary license annually. I live in Utah, Salt Lake valley.

Anyhow, my idea is to place the hives out of sight and away from any traffic. My local laws state 5 feet from the property line, which would work perfect on the back side of my shop. I have blackberries and wildflowers back there, and it's right next to my garden. I also have a greenhouse I leave open throughout the summer on the other side.

The shop faces south, south west.

Idea 1: Behind shop, facing the 6' concrete fence, about mid-way on the shop (YES, it will all be cleaned up and clear of obstacles). This photo is looking EAST (notice the sun-line, in the summer it gets NEARLY full sun):

This photo is looking WEST:

This photo is looking south east at the 10' easement gap at the back of my shop. The raised area is my garden. The swing set is being removed this summer for the addition of a chicken coop:

Idea 2: Beside or behind my garden shed. It's a shed that you likely noticed in the above photos. However hardly any sun gets in here. Looking south west:

The side of the garden shed, looking south:

My gut is telling me back of the shop, better sun, less traffic, etc.. But do I point them toward the wall or toward the garden? Does it matter really?

Thank you for any insight and direction!

best,

dallas

Default Re: Help with yard placement and location

Here are my criteria for location from most important to nice to have:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Great list on your site there Michael - thank you!

What do you think about the direction the hives point? I'd assume even if pointed south, directly at that large 6' concrete fence - they'll still know to forage in my garden and yard?

Do not place them directly against or near enough to a building where roof runoff will come down on the hive. Its not just the rain in the summer the biggest danger is the winter when large chunks of ice and snow that can knock a hive over. Ideally you want them out of the prevailing winds and with sun exposure in the winter and ideally a little protection from the late afternoon sun in the summer.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

photo2.jpg

This would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    photo2.jpg

This would be my choice.
    Just keep it away far enough to avoid the roof runoff and you should be fine there.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Perfect, I love the feedback and ideas. I could definitely put the hives there, but my only concern is getting hit with a soccer ball if family comes over to play in the back yard or if there is enough room for them there. Hmm....I see how I could put a small chain-link gate/fence around the side of the garden shed however. . .. my wheels are turning. . .

Keep in mind when you are deciding, hives are most easily worked from the rear. Here is a picture of my yard last summer. Note the ample space behind the hives to work them as well as mow/weedeat with ease.

Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Good thoughts, and good for you to think about placement BEFORE you discover there's a better place for them. I'd opt for a place on the property in a corner away from human activity, with the most sun possible irrespective of facing any particular direction. Placing them near or in the garden is moot as they can find plenty of pollinating opportunities. And remember as hives become more populated, they generally tend to become more defensive.

Grant
    Jackson, MO www.createspace.com/4044187
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Maybe it's just that I'm Lakota... but I always prefer to face them East or Southeast. But then they often end up in double rows facing opposite directions... sun on the entrance in the morning is a "nice to have" as is having it's back to the prevailing winter winds.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF