Default Bottom boards to pallets

We currently have a little over 200 hives, all with solid bottom boards. We are not migratory but often need to move hives around to new yards. We plan to build 4 way pallets this summer and start converting to them. For those who have converted, how did you do this? I was thinking about working at night and moving the pallet to new yard as soon as converted would cause least disruplion to hives.

Any suggestions?

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Default Re: Bottom boards to pallets

I would set them on your pallets early morning or evening and move them a few miles. After a few weeks you should be able to move them back if you choose or even switch them with an existing yard if that works out better. We have often done the ole "double switch" when a yard just needs moved a very short distance by simply switching it with an existing yard. Your gonna love being palletized Johnny the possibilities are endless.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Why not use a pallet the you can just put your hives on bottom board and all. We do this with 6ways but it would work with 4ways.

There are a number of us in Oregon that do as Beetrucker suggests.
    Having hives on individual bottom boards, on specially made pallets provides the ultimate in fexibility.
    If I am moving just a few pallets, I sometimes load with the forklift and then unload with the boom.
    When I used to take bees into the desert 185 miles away, I would load with the forklift, drive through the night and unload in the cool air with the boom rather than drag a forklift all the way there for no good reason.
    The trip back was a different story. Now you are loading in the evening in the heat with the boom but thank heavens you can unload with the forklift when you get home tired.
    Other times a grower just needs a few hives and booming just makes more sense to me.

A lot depends on what kind of bottom boards you are using. Unfortunatly, the only ones sold are those cheap, flimsey, reversable pieces of junk. Why don't people sell migratory bottom boards? I don't get it!!?

All of my bottom boards are made on a jig. They are identical and HEAVY DUTY!!
    Anyway, this is one other option.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Here is a side view so you can get an idea of our pallet design. notice that there is room undernieth the bottom boards to slide the forks of the boom cradle into.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Quote Originally Posted by Broke-T View Post
    We currently have a little over 200 hives, all with solid bottom boards. We are not migratory but often need to move hives around to new yards. We plan to build 4 way pallets this summer and start converting to them. For those who have converted, how did you do this? I was thinking about working at night and moving the pallet to new yard as soon as converted would cause least disruplion to hives.

Any suggestions?

Johnny
    http://www.meyerhoneyfarms.com/clips.html

If you use this tape of pallet with pallet clips you do NOT need Bottom boards
    IMHO you do need forks to move the pallet

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Thats practically exactly what I build, except I keep mine as a two hive pallet instead of a four. My EzyLoader lifts doubles and not pallets of four.

I dont know if I understand your original question,
    we arranged the yard originally in pairs, placed the pallet/bottom board behind them and simply lifted them onto the new bottom board pallet.
    Easy breezy
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

One of the best things about this site it the passion of the beekeeper who contribute to this site.
    Love it, Keep it all coming !
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, most of our yards are set up with 4 hives per stand all facing one way. I was thinking if we set a pallet down and place the 4 hives on the pallet the 2 facing the original way would get all the returning foragers from all 4. Thats the reason I planned to move to pallet and then move to new yard. Just wondering how others did it.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Broke......I don't have the time to do this....but, if you have the time you could always simply swing two of the hives (of the four) around a foot or so every couple of days over the course of a week or so until they are in position and not have to move them anywhere. Then simply place them on pallets........maybe not what you're looking for. We normally move hives onto other pallets in the dark as we are moving them and they wake up in another location none the wiser.

........but, we are half-assed beekeepers after all.......

Quote Originally Posted by Broke-T View Post
    Ian, most of our yards are set up with 4 hives per stand all facing one way. I was thinking if we set a pallet down and place the 4 hives on the pallet the 2 facing the original way would get all the returning foragers from all 4. Thats the reason I planned to move to pallet and then move to new yard. Just wondering how others did it.

Johnny
    can you turn two of those hives a few days before you bring in the pallets?
    then when you lift them onto the new pallets they will be somewhat orientated
    I wouldnt worry about it too much, they will sort themselves out
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, do you find that 2 hive pallets are more prone to tipping than 4? Been thinking of palletizing but would like to still be able to point all entrances east to catch the morning sun. Or do you think it's that big of deal?

No , I dont think its a big deal but thats just me. I keep many yards and not all point the right way. If I had the opportunity to do so, I think I would.
    My double pallets are slick and suit my operation. I load them onto the trailer with my loader arm, and unload inthe yard with my skidder grabbing two rows at a time. but Not quite as slick as working four ways.
    Another reason I really like double hive arrangements is that I have the ability to sit around an to the back side of the hives when working them. In four ways your sitting directly besides them, more reaching.

no worries on tipping
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hmm... Good food for thought thanks. I suppose with four hive pallets there would also be more chance of one of those hives being pissed off, in which case you'd have to put up with being beside it while working the other three

Harry, thanks for sharing the pictures of your bottom boards. I was just getting ready to build the bottom boards for my new hives this year and I'm going to use this design instead of the standard reversible bottom board.