Default Modifying frames for mini nucs

Best links/pics/vids for mass modifying frames for mini nucs, specificly the dadoed endbar slot.

I'm thinking I'll probably clamp together X amount of frames & run over dado blade @ width of endbar.

Also modifying supers for mini nucs.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: Modifying frames for mini nucs

I did a run of mini frames a few months ago. My first time doing it. It ended up being more cuts than I was expecting, but still way cheaper than buying them. I don't have any pics/vids/links to it though.

It ended up taking me six passes with a dado blade per top bar, and 2 passes with a cross cut blade. It also took me 2 passes with a dado blade per bottom bar, and 2 passes with a cross cut blade. I actually think it would have been more efficient (time wise) to make the mini top and bottom bars from a block of wood than it would have to modify a full length frame into two minis.

I'd be happy to share how I did it (the steps) but I'm sure you can figure it out, and it's probably not what you were looking for anyway.

Are you modifying a top bar or making one from scratch?

Seems like dadoeing for the end bar would be one pass each side w/dadoe blade set for thickness of endbar.

lakebilly, What size are you making your frame will it be half the length of a standard hive frame or will it go across the hive body is your hive 10 frame or 8 frame. Are you using a mini box which uses a 6 1/4 frames? What is your purpose making Queens?

cutting frames in 1/2 lengthwise. deeps & mediums. I hope to start rearing queens this year. new house & a lot of fencing to do. gonna try. thx.

Have you thought about making your own top & bottom bars from 3/4 stock. It is not hard all you need to do is add a frame rest inside the center of your full size boxes and make the frames to fit. I have been making my own frames for rearing queens and find it is easier to make them from new material. You can buy end bars from most suppliers and make the top & bottom bars to fit the end bars. Myself I use all 8 frame equipment and make the frames go across the hive body and use 6 5/8 depth. I have two styles of mating nucs both use 3 frames, one is two way and exits opposite ends of the nucs and the other is free standing. I have friends who use full length medium frames and a divided box the length and three frames to mate there queens in and once they are done they just combine them back into the regular hives and pull out the dividers.

b.JPG

Maybe this can help.