Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How close is to close for hives?

8K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  psfred 
#1 ·
I have a hive stand that may fit 3 hits next to each other. Wondering if there is some best practice on how close you can put them next to each other.

#2 ·
I'm not sure but I think they can be right next to each other wth no problems. Many, if not all, of the pollinator hives appear to be that way. My original thought was that space would be good... but in winter, at least up here, I wonder if there would be a heat conservation benefit of keeping them side by side...

I'm looking forward to the experienced beekeepers to weigh in on this one.

#5 ·
The only time you have to worry about how close they are is when installing new packages the will drift sometimes and you will have to change posations to equelize them other than that NO probolemo

#9 ·
I put 4 hives on an 8' hive stand (two by fours) and there is about 10" between them. Sometimes I have problems getting frames loose with my "J-hook" hive tool on the outside edges of the inner hives. The hives just don't have enough space between them for me to jack those obstinate frames loose. Working the hives from behind helps keep the bees a little more calm.

As for the bees, they seem to be just fine.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.createspace.com/4044187

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.