Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: Fogging your bees?

Once again to radar sidetrack Crude oil is organic wether you like it or not. The mineral oil used in fogging is part of the crude oil it is a parrafin straight chain hydrocarbon which is separated from the crude oil by distilation, so was always in the crude oil. Gasoline on the other hand,with the exeption of low octane straight chain gasolines, is processed throughplatinum reactors and is changed from parrafinic to aromatic molecules therefore the gasoline in my car is not strictly organic but is derived from an organic substance.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Once again to radar sidetrack Crude oil is organic wether you like it or not. The mineral oil used in fogging is part of the crude oil it is a parrafin straight chain hydrocarbon which is separated from the crude oil by distilation, so was always in the crude oil. Gasoline on the other hand,with the exeption of low octane straight chain gasolines, is processed throughplatinum reactors and is changed from parrafinic to aromatic molecules therefore the gasoline in my car is not strictly organic but is derived from an organic substance.
    Johno
    some beekeepers know lots.
    The first post said nothing about organic.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock read post#107 by Radarsidetrack, after someone mentioned Fat Beeman who said he used natural methods. Now some double g and snail farmers tend to try to ridicule thr messenger if they cant refute the message
    Johno

johno, you seem to be trying to make a point that crude oil is organic. While an Organic Chemistry 101 class might include material about crude oil, that is not the same meaning as the concept of food produced organically. At least not by any "reasonable" definition of organic as I said in my first post on this subject.

Very few customers purchasing "organic food" would find it acceptable to discover that the food they were buying was treated with crude oil.

It doesn't matter that crude oil from a chemist's viewpoint is an organic compound.

Organic chemistry is a subdiscipline within chemistry involving thescientific study of the structure, properties, composition, reactions, and preparation (by synthesis or by other means) of carbon-based compounds, hydrocarbons, and their derivatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry
    If you are marketing honey, the word "organic", in this sense, has nothing to to with organic chemistry.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    I never even suggested those claims.
    I know I know I did not mean to insinuate any such thing that's why I said it was a joke. Sorry
    I thought the comparison was spot on. Words seem to have different meanings to different people and obviously the term run off has a different meaning to me than to other folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    My point was that not everyone is well-suited for internet forums.
    Exactly. I in no way meant that the people here intentionally ran him off What I THOUGHT I meant was because he couldnt deal with peoples legitimate critique he "ran off." And Im sure this is as clear as mud.
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    So who has fogged there bees and it worked?
    I seen the fat bee guy youtube using mineral oil does this work?
    It works for him

I used to fog religiously when I started beekeeping eleven (12?) years ago. I got Dr. Rodriguez' manuscript and followed directions precisely for the first two or three years. The bees seemed to work up a resistance to the varroa and I haven't treated since then! When I did fog, however, I would do so as often as every 4 days depending on the mite drops. I used FGMO specially formulated for fogging and sold by STE Oil Company (www.steoil.com. Click on "FGMO"), I used a Burgess propane (not electric) fogger that produces a nice, fine mist. I would fog through the front entrance. . .about 3 seconds until the fog started coming out at the top (cant the outer cover a bit so you know when the hive has enough FGMO fog in it). That would be it. I am lucky enough to have very little varroa problem now. . .3 to 5 mites in a 48-hr drop! The girls really keep them under control. I keep the fogger and oil handy, though. . .just in case. By the way, it works like a dream on tracheal mite as well!

38.00 for a gal 69.00 for the fogger 107.00 total great bargin if it works.
    Well see i'm going to give it a year and keep good records so i'll let the forum know how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    When I did fog, however, I would do so as often as every 4 days depending on the mite drops.
    So would it be fair to say that your experience (based I assume on reduced mite drops)has shown a fogging lasts approximately 4 days and if so what did you estimate the residual mite numbers in the hive per 100 bees would be at after 5 or 6 consecutive foggings?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Tia, did the fog kill the varroa or just cause them to fall off ? Did the resistance you describe developing correspond to the size of the developing colony ? How large/old are the colonies you describe as varroa resistant ?
    Cheers,
    Drew

I would think that whether the fog caused them to fall off (which I doubt) or the fog killed them (my choice), it shows that the fogger worked. If you are getting significant mite drop after a fogging, why do it every four days unless the hive was totally overrun with mites and on the verge of collapse to start with. Using the least number of treatments to get the mites down to manageable levels for the bees is the way I would do it. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    If you are getting significant mite drop after a fogging, why do it every four days unless the hive was totally overrun with mites and on the verge of collapse to start with.
    In the video fatbeeman says “ if you fog once a week you ain’t going to have any mites” but ya only need to do it once every 3 weeks to break the mite/ brood cycle. Not sure if he uses sbb when I did a lot of the fog came out the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Daniel Y, How many more people would have needed to die for to have the decency to stop defending your ignorant posting?
    I think it is disgusting when others will try to capitalize on the misery of others. Even to the point of dramatizing it and spreading outright lies about it. You seem to have an issue that I would point out this disgusting behavior. To each their own. what disgusts you only reveals your character not mine. I am sickened by a media that is politically and profit driven spewing propaganda any time they think they can wring a dime from it. You seem to think these same people need to be defended. I prefer to live with my soul thank you.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I think it is disgusting when others will try to capitalize on the misery of others. Even to the point of dramatizing it and spreading outright lies about it. You seem to have an issue that I would point out this disgusting behavior. To each their own. what disgusts you only reveals your character not mine. I am sickened by a media that is politically and profit driven spewing propaganda any time they think they can wring a dime from it. You seem to think these same people need to be defended. I prefer to live with my soul thank you.
    FOGGING?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I am sickened by a media that is politically and profit driven spewing propaganda any time they think they can wring a dime from it.
    Why don't you simply stop watching (or listening to) the "media" you hate so much? Or, perhaps you are doing scholarly research so you can enlighten us heathens at Beesource?

ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Ok girls enough is enough. Play nice or at least PM each other.
    I don't mind an occasional "discussion", but when it becomes personal... it's not becoming to the rest of us beekeepers.
    Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Either way, I'm done.

I would agree with Mr Beeman, those persons who are using this thread to make personal attacks should get back into their strollers and behave.
    Johno

Anyone else notice that both posts addressing how disruptive this stuff is. Include an insult in there comment? When you all really want a pleasant atmosphere. It will become apparent. as for now. Not.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by doc25 View Post
    Apparently we acept Mineral oil as organic.
    Sooooooooo did ya really have to post the whole thing I missed the FGMO entry.