Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fogging your bees?

thanks for all the kind works I am in the chat room most eves to answer questions and help if I can. I try to pass on good info no=BS I have nothing to prove to anyone here just a old beekeeper try to pass on a art form to the younger generation.I have made my living for over 50 yrs commercially and there is no need for chem's. once a beekeeper reaches a place there is nothing to prove to anyone but him self======lol

Don...............>>>>>>>>the fatbeeman

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post
    Mike,
    My methodology:
    Light fogger, (takes a sec to heat up), hit entrance of hive for 1/2-1 second, on to next one, I could do a dozen easy in less than 3 minutes

I understand that the actual fogging process takes only seconds. The problem for me is that I have my bees in three different yards and I would spend at least 2 1/2 hours just in driving time to go to all three locations. I'm not able to do that every week. My full time job and family responsibilities keep me pretty busy. My hives are a hobby and passion of mine, not my livelihood.

If it's working for you I think that's great. Like I said before, I'm just relating what Dr R said to me years ago. If I would keep up with it as recommended it may work fine for me too.

In your methodology, how often do you fog your hives?
    To everything there is a season....

every three weeks

That's great, glad it's working for you. Do you have a link to the ongoing University studies?

Can't seem to find anything on FGMO. Looks like mostly Formic Acid and Essential Oil references.

Mike,
    You are right, I can't find a thing. Why is that ? I thought for sure I had seen several separate references from credible institutions.

There are three basic classes of refined mineral oils:

paraffinic oils, based on n-alkanes
    naphthenic oils, based on cycloalkanes
    aromatic oils, based on aromatic hydrocarbons (distinct from essential oils)
    You might want to see if any of the oils fall under the broader classification of Mineral Oils. Studies woudl tend to be more specific in the exact oil they used. while many oils fall under the name Mineral oil.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Yea, I can't find anything either. The best reference with a track record would be with Fat Beeman. He's a queen breeder with stock that he has been selecting for many years. The best chance for success might be the combination of his queens, 4.9 cell comb, and FGMO fogging. If that's his formula, and it works, replicate it. Perhaps it takes a combination of all three to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    There are three basic classes of refined mineral oils:
    I've only heard of FGMO being used in foggers. Petroleum based Food Grade Mineral Oil (Laxative) sold in most Drug Stores. Which group would that fall under? I'm not familiar with the three you listed.

Mike,
    I hit an untreated colony that was crashing from multiple parasites with the fogger just before the end and my observation was that it rained dead mites. I will endeavor to expose varroa to FGMO fog in jar next season and report results.

found one I remember seeing:
    http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...inalReport.pdf
    Last edited by Maryland Beekeeper; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Nice find. That's the exact protocol that Pedro had sent to me. "Weekly" fogging "with Thymol" in the FGMO. The only difference is that he told me Thymol soaked cords were necessary as well to guarantee success. Personally I think much of the effectiveness can be attributed to the action of the Thymol rather than the oil itself, as in other Thymol based products such as Api Life Var.

Anyway, glad you found this more current fogging study. I wish they would have collected alcohol wash mite counts, but the data they did record is sufficient evidence to prove a point.

It seems odd and not at all encouraging that a dozen grad. student reports on this don't pop right up. And I haven't searched the forum, no reports of FGMO fog in a jar of mites ?

Why is the Fat/Beeman seem so jaded towards sharing his knowledge in this most?

He's in the chat room most nights i went in last night and he answered a few questions for me on fogging.
    The beekeepers that are here sometime can get in to some heated discussions and i'm guessing he got mad at some of them and had posts deleted if you look back on this post he said something about his post getting deleted. He has 130 youtubes.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Just talked with Fat/Beeman in chat, love his you tube videos. OK seems simple to find out how well the fogging works. Put in screen bottom board, check mite fall levels,fog check mite fall levels. Easy peasy lemon squeasy

i'm all for it.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Yea, I can't find anything either. The best reference with a track record would be with Fat Beeman. He's a queen breeder with stock that he has been selecting for many years. The best chance for success might be the combination of his queens, 4.9 cell comb, and FGMO fogging. If that's his formula, and it works, replicate it. Perhaps it takes a combination of all three to be successful.
    In his videos he uses Oxalic Acid Fogging as well...
    Thanks for the videos FBM! Really down to earth and simple to understand for us newbees.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    fat/beeman if thats you in the youtube on fogging well just to let you know i'm on 4.9 cell and just bought a fogger and i'll know how it works this spring and i must say thank you for the info i listen to all good beekeeper that give good knowledge about beekeeping and now i know how to fog i didn't know anything about it a month ago but thanks to you i now know..
    Don't use baby oil it contains fragrance. Use Food grade mineral oil its a laxative.
    Im really not that serious

In the video Don doesn't mention Thymol so I don't think he uses it. Better check with him if he uses sbb cause a lot of the fog goes out the bottom. Have used check mite once in 2000 used aplifevar once 3 years ago used hop guard twice this year have cleared up dwv twice using fgmo. So why did I stop using fgmo. Had the inspector come out and it's not approved for use. All the authorities at the local bee meetings say it doesn't work. So I have started using fgmo it again. Pedro was run off this forum I can't believe they way he was treated. Worse than in tailgator. I also remember he requested all his posts be removed. THANKS FAT BEEMAN
    Im really not that serious

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast