Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Making metal cover for telescoping outer covers

19K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  psm1212 
#1 ·
I thought that I would share my method for making the metal cover for my telescoping covers. Comments welcome.

I cut the aluminum on the table saw using a cross cut sled. Cover the blade with a short length of board to protect from flying metal fragments.
Table saws Tool Table saw Wood shaper Wood

These are the jigs for bending the metal. This idea came from a member of this forum, but I have forgotten his name.
Wood Hardwood Floor Plywood Flooring

The jig is secured in a bench vise.
Table Wood Floor Plywood Hardwood

Metal tends to spring back some after bending so bend a little past 90 degrees
Wood Room Hardwood

insert sheet into groove and fold over
Table Floor Wood Furniture Hardwood

one bending jig is full lenth of sheet, the second is shorter to allow for first bend.
Wood Hardwood Floor Plywood Table

The finished product
Floor Wood Hardwood Flooring Laminate flooring

See less See more
#4 ·
How does the folding work? I have a roll of galvanized sheet tin and the first bend worked well on both sides but the ends made it look a 2 yr old wrapping a Christmas present. Is that why there is two jigs? One for each length? Do you put another piece of wood to fold it or hit it with that BA hammer on the sheet goods of pick 5? Good post, I asked about this twice already and this is the best explanation I have seen. I went cheap and got the heavy galvanized rather than the aluminum.

#5 ·
I use aluminum flashing and it bends well. I can just fold it with the palm of my hand. I use two bending jigs. The first is the full length of the sheet. The other is shorter than the sheet by the dimension of the bend on each side. My bends are about 1", so my second jig is 2" shorter than the sheet.

#9 ·
Ralittlefield, good post, and really nice shop setup. Where did you find your aluminum flashing. Ive looked around town and most everyone has just galvanized. I figured i would just have to break down and buy it online when it finally comes to that. And i also want to at least put it out there, could a person use 7/16 osb for their top instead of exterior plywood? Especially with the metal cover? I built a topbar hive (why i dont know) and used osb with a couple of coats of solarflex roofcoat white paint. No metal. I will be interested in how long this will hold up in he texas heat. And from what ive read. osb quality nowadays is really good and stable.

#19 ·
Ralittlefield, good post, and really nice shop setup. Where did you find your aluminum flashing.
Thanks, I hope it was helpful to someone!

I got my flashing at a surplus/damaged goods outlet. They had 2 50' rolls and 2 10', the prices were pretty well discounted so I bought all of it. Next time I need some, I will probably have to pay the long price at a lumber yard.

#11 ·
whiskeytripping...If you want an OSB type of top, that will hold up without metal cover, use ADVANTEC. I use it for tops for nuc and regular hives for feeding with gallon and 1/3 gallon jars through the top.

Roland You can also just have a friend in the carpentry business bend them for you, using a brake. Amazing what a jar of honey will get you.

cchoganjr

#13 ·
Mr.Beeman......Others.... They also make that coil stock in a textured finish, multi colors available, for about $110.00 for a 2' X 50' roll. For those who have multicolor boxes, these colored tops are a nice finishing touch. If you make your top 22" long, the 24" width will make 25 tops from a 50 foot roll, ($4.40 a top for the metal.) Or as Mr.Beeman says, the white (plain) would be $2.80 per top.

I also get a lot of 1 X 12 pine, cutoffs, from roofers and builders, for a jar or two of honey.

cchoganjr

#15 ·
Barry... For years the overwhelming majority of roof sheeting, concrete forms, bird board, window and door trim, and other usage was 1 X 12 pine. Some roofers are going to a plywood type of wood, but, most still use 1 X 12 for sheeting.

1 X 12 is used almost exclusively on outbuildings, sheds, barns, garages, etc. Still lots of 1 X 12 available.

cchoganjr

#16 ·
Im sure when i start getting jars of honey it helps with the whole bartering process quite a bit. So pretty much you still recommend the 3/4" plywood for the top. And a PT plywood for the bottom board? And basically for the top you can get the cheapest 3/4" plywood you can buy probably? Or does everybody get the sanded on one side (sanded side facing the bees) plywood which is a little more expensive

#20 ·
I always use 3/4 plywood. I like the extra weight with 3/4 plywood.
I use all kinds of used plywood as long it is the right size and not totally
rotten, a little bit grey is OK. I making a few tops with some furniture graded
plywood that a friend gave me. This makes nice looking tops. Actually you only
see the plywood if you take the top cover off.

#24 ·
Hey Cleo, where did you find that advancec? I found some 3/4 tongue and groove what i call OSB at home depot in the building materials. It said OSB on the home depot tag, but is this advantec? Ive really only seen OSB in 7/16" until i ran into that 3/4" tounge and groove

#25 ·
.... but is this advantec?
Advantech is a brand name, and its different than normal OSB. Apparently Advantech is manufactured with more resin compared to standard OSB. There is a dealer locator here:
http://www.advantechperforms.com/getting-started/product-locator.aspx?results=1

There are several dealers in the Corsicana TX area:

Cassity Jones - 27 miles
15500 W Hwy 287 ByPass, Waxahachie, TX
Map It
Get Rebate

Cassity Jones - 27 miles
2048 S. 3rd St., Mabank, TX
Map It
Get Rebate

Cassity Jones - 27 miles
2048 S. Third St., Mabank, TX
Map It
Get Rebate

Groom & Sons - 27 miles
1310 South Third Street, Mabank, TX
Map It
Get Rebate

Woodson Lumber - 29 miles
1127 East Milam, Mexia, TX
Map It
Get Rebate

#28 ·
Call ahead first. I had several dealers here in the area and stopped in on the way home from work. I was pretty much told that the have it in a warehouse in Washington and can get me a ‘load’ in a few days. I only wanted to try a piece or two but you guys may be able to take more.

Never did get my hands on any.

#29 ·
I've built them with both, aluminum and galvanized. The Alum is easy to cut, I just score it and bend it to break, them tap fitted it around each lid with a hammer . Not hard at all.Galvanizing has a bad memory makes bending alot harder..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.