Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New Utah beekeeper, hoping to get started on the right foot!

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ImaNewBeeToThis 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello friends,

I am in the process of getting two cedar hives (10 frame, 5 mediums per) and am very excited.

I love this forum so far and yet still find myself confused on a breed. First off I love to learn and will do what it takes to make good decisions. With that being said:

Russians or Italians? I am worried about swarming, but love the other aspects of Russians. Out of 10 search results on the topic, it's 5/5 folks liking one or the other. I'm not sure which direction. I am in Utah, it's cold here in the winter, and hot dry summers. I have great water source and lots of pollen..

I also want to add that I do not want to use chemicals on anything. I'd like to be as natural as possible.

Thank you for any insight!

Best- dallas

#3 ·
I also live in Utah in the salt lake valley. Been keeping bees going on my fifth year and still learning as each year passes. I've had Italians, carniolans, and Russian crosses. With the experiences I've had I prefer the carniolans. Just my two cents. I'm sure there are others out there with more experiences.

#7 ·
Welcome dmaddox! This is my ending of just my first year and I've got Italians, plus a swarm I caught (probably Italians also...I don't know). My neighbor bought Russians at the same time I bought mine, and he seems to like them. I have them over to my house every so often when I open feed (ok, just once or twice!).

If you are interested in catching swarms, see my facebook group called 'Bait Hive Challenge Utah' for a little Utah fun (you obviously don't have to be an expert!).

Good luck!!

#14 ·
Start thinking of more boxes and more foundations as they may soon want more room and you don't want them to swarm away. Also natural is O.K. until you have a very serious problem like American Foul Brood then be ssure to use antibiotics and read more . Best of luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.