Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Will Kudzu herbicide harm bees?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jack London 
#1 ·
Hello all - newbie here; first-time poster.

I am new to beekeeping; I recently ordered my first package of bees and plan on having them in March.

The other day (after I placed my order), it occured to me that I may have a HUGE problem.

There is a large area of kudzu in my neighborhood. I would guess that it covers ultimately several acres; it certainly borders many people's properties (including mine).

It has been there ever since I've lived in my current house (several years now). Of course, it dies off during the winter, but during the mostly warm months of the year here, it is a constant problem. I have used a herbicide in the past to try and at least stop it from coming onto my own property. I suspect that many other people in the area may do the same when it gets warm and the kudzu grows again.

Now, I have noticed a purple-colored flower that the kudzu produces. I don't intend to use any more herbicide or kudzu-killer type of product once my bees arrive. BUT! since others in the area probably will, and since the bees will (I assume?) want to visit this kudzu flower I see every year.....will kudzu that has been treated as such harm the bees?

Is it possible that the bees will simply avoid the kudzu flower altogether if the kudzu has been sprayed with anything? Or will the bees not realize it until it's too late and they've already dined on kudzu killer? I would assume that this would be harmful to the bees, but is it possible that I am wrong?

And also, what effect (if any?) would this have on the honey?

I feel that I'm in a huge bind here. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Most herbicides do not harm/kill bees other than their coming in contact with more pollutants. It is herbicide, not an insecticide. If the herbicide is effective, it should dry up the kudzu immediately and it will then not flower.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thanks to all for the responses so far.

dbest, the kudzu has been killing trees around the edge of my property. One of the trees is currently in danger of falling on my house and destroying it. I'm merely trying to stop that from happening; aside from that I have nothing against kudzu.

It does tend to cover up anything and everything it can, and I suppose that's why the neighbors sometimes spray it along the edge of their own properties. I think odfrank is right: the areas that get sprayed probably do not flower much at all.

beekeeperlady, there are probably 10-20 neighbors or more who are affected by the kudzu. I would feel awkward about contacting each of them individually and asking them not to spray.

I did find some links about herbicide and honeybees, for anyone interested:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/triclotech.pdf
http://www.asapaquatics.com/res-files/pdfs/SyncFile_734547M004113_ShoreKlear_MSDS.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.