Hybrid View

Default Small cell for honey supers?

I use all deeps and have all my hives on 4.9 cell . .
    Should i go with the same size when it comes to honey supers?
    I did get some honey this year on these frames and it seem that they where not as thick as the large cell frames i have used before.
    Now this past year was a build up year so all hives where working hard getting ready for there first winter building all the comb for there hives{14}.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Small cell for honey supers?

i don't have any experience with it, but i have read that it is more difficult to spin honey out of small cell because of capillary action, which is not what i would have predicted.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

As far as I'm concerned, the more small cell (brood size) comb I have the better. The reason is that brood sized comb can be used in either the brood chambers or in the supers. Larger cell super frames cannot be used effectively in the brood area if needed. I like to have that flexibility, especially for spring swarm management.

My exclusive honey supers are made up of frames pulled from the brood boxes that have too many drone cells built on foundationless frames. The honey does seem to extract a little easier from larger cells, but for me the advantage of having interchangeable frames outweighs the extra effort in extracting. If I want deeper cells in the supers I'll space out 9 drawn frames in a 10 frame box and they will draw the cells out deeper.
    To everything there is a season....

good answer mike.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

MIKE i will Definitely be trying 9 drawn frames in a 10 frame box .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

As much as I would hate managing deep supers (I would definitely not lift any that had honey in them) I think it's important to have all the same size frames in your operation. In mine they are mediums...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize

"Whatever style (hive) may be adopted, let it by all means be one with movable frames, and have but one sized frame in the apiary."--A.B. Mason, Mysteries of Bee-keeping explained

I feel the same way about cell size. If everything is interchangable your life as a beekeeper is much simpler.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF