Hybrid View

Default New Hooser beekeeper getting started

Hi Everyone,

I live in Central Indiana and am starting beekeeping this Spring. I have enjoyed reading the threads on this site and thought I would jump in to learn more by asking questions. Right now I am looking at starting a couple hives and am still trying to decide on Langs or some kind of Top Bar hive. I am leaning toward the TBH simply because of the cost and inspecting the hive seems less invasive. I am looking forward to being a member of this forum.

Doug

Default Re: New Hooser beekeeper getting started

Hi Doug, I live in Indiana also, but use the Landstrom hive. I have seen that there is a new hive producer online for the TBH called BeeThinking, they are offering a have today at a $100 discount.

Welcome to Beesource!

If you are thinking about a Top Bar hive, there is no need to buy one. You can build your own with little more than a handsaw, if that's all you have available:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I was thinking about building one either using those plans or the biobees plan or more recently the 1/2 barrel hive has caught my interest because it looks like I could use a medium nuc instead of packaged bees which might be better, but I am not sure. What do you think?

Have you considered a horizontal hive?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm

Easy to build, can be used with just top bars, or if you size it correctly, could also be used with Lang frames. Since you haven't decided between a TBH and Lang yet, this lets you get started and be able to fairly easily convert either way, once you have some experience.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Welcome Doug!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com