Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default oxalic vaporizor

I just made one out of pipe with a stainless plug. I am going to treat 1 hive with 3 deeps and 1 shallow super (I combined 2 hives). My question is how much acid do I put in the plug to be heated with the torch. And do I just do it 1 time?

That site does not really answer my question.Was hoping someone with experience with homemade version could answer

You asked for dosing.......... there is a pretty darn
    good chart with important dose info. Regardless
    of the method of sublimation.

Not sure how to measure in grams

you need a fairly accurate scale which you can (after measuring one sample) convert into a volume if you are doing multiple treatments. I use a very small measuring spoon for the latter part of this process.

Default what I've heard

I've just ordered an electric vaporizer which I should be receiving soon. I observed someone using the method you are describing with a sort of home made vaporizer. he used 1 gram per brood chamber or 1/4 teaspoon but mentioned not exceeding 2 grams per hive regardless. when applying heat make sure you go on and off because it is very easy to overheat the acid. since you are going to be so close to the hive be careful of the vapors

Default Oxalic acid

Hi, it might help to know that a US quarter weighs 5 grams. Take care and have fun

Thumbs Up Ohaus scale.

http://www.scalesgalore.com/o3bdial.htm
    Locate someone taking a chemisty class and mass, weigh, the desired amount.
    Try using a food measuring set to match the Oxalic acid.
    I have an Ohaus scale. But, I do not have the Oxalic acid on hand to help you. Well, that's 50% of your answer.
    I may be trying out the oxalic acid later so that I could give you the accurate measurement.
    Please remember that different powders will have different weights per unit volume.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

This is a copy of a email that I received from Heilyser company in BC Canada. They sell the 12volt evaporator

I have some questions on the vaporizer
    1. Can I just use woodbleach in it.
    Yes, as long as it a crystal form and says “Oxalic Acid” on the label. See the attached picture.

2. What is the weight in grams used per hive both one and two story deeps? Also 5 frame nuc's
    One and two story hive (from 10 up to 20 frames) 2grams oxalic acid. 5 frame nuc 1gram OA; exact instructions coming with each Vaporizer.

3. I am looking for something that can be used 2 -3 times a year. Can it be used with honey supers on?
    Evaporated OA can be used as often as necessary 7 days apart. Liquid OA should be used only one time per bee generation.

OA is a natural ingredient of honey but I would not recommend the treatment with a honey super on.

I also made one, but have not used it yet. When I researched and asked the same question I was told that a 1/2 inch copper pipe cap full was about the correct amount.
    Regards
    Mike

Thanks to all that replied I appreciate all the help. I will do this tomarrow morning with gloves and respirator. I will use a little over 1/4th of a teaspoon for 3 deeps and a shallow super. I could not do it today, the girls were ticked off when I removed the top feeder, they werent taking much anyway. one of them nailed me in the hind end!

I was told that a 1/2 inch copper pipe cap full was about the correct amount.

That is what came with mine they put a handle on it.
    Dan

Default correct measurment

Try calling your local waste water treatment plant and ask if they would be willing to weigh it for you. You could take the copper pipe cap and a teaspoon with you and measure then pour it out on to there scale.

An unworn penny minted after 1982 is 2.5 grams. Using a gram balance beam scale I have, just over 1/2 tsp = the penny. This was DAP wood bleach. A real pain to measure due to the sesitivity of the scale. 2 grams is recomended for 2 deeps. With that many hive body's, I think I would use a little more than a 1/4 tsp.
    Incidently, mine is all copper 1/2". Using MAPP gas and a swirl head torch. Bench tests show it starting to gas in 15 seconds and complete at 1 min. 10 secs. using appx. 2 grams.

I've used a level 1/2 tsp for 2 deep hive bodies for the last 3 years with no detrimental effects that I could see. I use it in the fall after I've confirmed that there is no brood in the hives. The hives begin the spring with very low mite counts.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've used a level 1/2 tsp for 2 deep hive bodies for the last 3 years"
    Thats what I used also for 2 deeps. I think for his 3 deeps and a shallow he should use a little more or it won't be a "succesful" treatment.

Default Will the vaporizer fit under--

Can some one tell me if the vaporizer will fit through the entrance of a hive using the 3/8" bee way space cleats.
    I would like to apply the treatment on bees that are on migratory pallets.
    Thank you,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

>Can some one tell me if the vaporizer will fit through the entrance of a hive using the 3/8" bee way space cleats.

It does not quite fit through a 3/8" opening.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default 3 rd year with oxalic

I have had good succes with the vaporizer method. It seems to be gentle on bees. THis year mites got away on me so had to start treating early. This week was rhe 5th time I treated. Mites are pretty well had it now. Far as amount of oxalic acid i use it really depends on how tiight hive and how tall. The three shallow boxes get 2 vaporizers at same time. I always fill the tray on the vaporizers. Has anyone had some bad effects with large amounts of oxalic use on hives over time.
    Bob F Seaman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast