Thread: dying hive

Hybrid View

Default dying hive

I was out doing some beaver trapping today on a farm. I got the landowner into bees this past spring. He motioned me over when i came up out of the creek and wanted me to check his hives. I went over and the first thing i noticed where live bees crawing around in the snow. 2 of which had fecal matter on their wings. It was only 30 degrees but i thought i had to check. I popped the top on the first hive and the cluster was smaller than my fist. Lots of honey but obviously done for! The other hive was a split off of the first one. It felt light so i pulled the cover off fast and threw on the super of honey off of the dying hive next to it. Now for my question. What do you guys think was wrong with the first hive? I never have seen that before.

Default Re: dying hive

was the split requeened, or did it have to make an emergency queen?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

They raised their own. That one is doing fine just light on stores. Why would bees be coming out in the cold?

I've never seen feces on my bee's wings.
    Dysentry or Nosema perhaps?

my first thought was the queenless split either failed to make a queen, or didn't make a very good queen.

a small weak split making an emergency queen isn't able to feed the queen cell as well as a strong hive, and the result can be a poor queen, leading to a weak colony.

i learned this lesson myself this year, and lost a hive because of it.

i would make sure it was not american foul brood,

but next on the list would be mites, followed by nosema.

meant to add...and mites vector all kinds of viruses.

like i said the split is fine just light on stores. how do you control nosema? Ive never dealt with it?