Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Florida Beekeeper Registration

Mosquito control is killing our hives in the St Johns County area....we have seen them arial spraying before dusk and after dawn .....they are not suppost to do this. One of our local beekeepers lost all of his hives except for one. They keep saying that the product they are using is not harmfull to the bees...we beg to differ!!!!!

Are the inspectors going to help us get this problem rectified? If not...what recourse do we have? What state entity is going to take the responsibility of making sure we don't loose all of our bees!!

Bobby

I agree they are helpful and active. I haven't seen my local inspector at my apiary yet (I'm sure its because his supervisor is overworking him in other ways), but I have seen him at several local meetings (both IFAS and local assoc run) and he went out of his way to make sure we had contact info including a cell phone #.

When does your inspection expire? It is a year after the last or a year after the hive was sold to you. I would never overwork him. He only has to do 8 inspections a day including answering all the beekeepers questions. We are a little behind and migratory beekeepers have us tied up for the next two months. Please be patient. If he does not call you, you can call me. 352-395-4635.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The registration expires April/May. I got the bees from a well known in state source (Elmore in Marianna, and was told to put that on the registration form) and I'm pretty sure the nucs were inspected just before purchase so I didnt really expect to see him this year.

8 inspections a day at 3 hours a piece, you actually let them go home and sleep for 8 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Splorndle View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. I have no desire to have anyone fining me for failure to register my bees. Leave me alone.
    This is the attitude of many new beekeepers that I talk with in Florida. Even some old timers are moving their bees and not reporting them for the new season. And some even claim they have gone out of the bee business.
    Our inspectors were once looked on as a valuable tool that were there when needed and they were liked.
    Now it seems a new generation of inspectors have a new attitude towards beekeepers and how they perceive their jobs. Many think they are too important to the industry and push for more and more power by creating new rules and regulations that may harm the small scale beekeepers in this state.
    Beekeepers are now put on the defensive and most will not even let other beekeepers know where they keep their bees let alone registering them.
    Oh how I miss the good old days when government was not so big and did not try to squeeze every last nickel out of our pockets.
    Today sadly we live in a world where those working have to justify the jobs they hold and many make it more important than it really is.
    Can we live without bee inspectors? Of course and many would like to but inspectors do fulfill a need in helping keep the amount of AFB down.
    Are they important to beekeepers in general? You be the judge.....
    Chappie
    www.floridabees.org

thumbs up to all the Florida bee inspectors, they are here to help us and the girls, kent

It's not hard to keep your bees unregistered. It's not like the inspectors are driving around looking for renegade beekeepers.I know a few that don't and they have problems and don't know what to do. for 10 bucks a year ya get a great education. Ya got mits ya don't know call the inspector he comes out and does a wash. Who has queens for sale honey nuks boxes??
    Iím really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Many think they are too important to the industry and push for more and more power by creating new rules and regulations that may harm the small scale beekeepers in this state.
    Do you really know many??
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Beekeepers are now put on the defensive and most will not even let other beekeepers know where they keep their bees let alone registering them.
    Do you know most bee keepers??
    Iím really not that serious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12