Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Florida Beekeeper Registration

For all that have asked about registration . . .
    Please print the application, sign, date, and return it back to the address highlighted in yellow along with your check in the amount of $10.00, payable to FDACS (please put for bee registration in the notes section of your check).

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/08176.pdf

Once it is received in the Gainesville office, a registration number will be assigned and you should receive your new beekeeper’s packet within two weeks. Certificates are processed ever Friday and mailed the following week.

If you have any questions, or if we may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. If you have any questions you may contact me at (352) 372-3505 or you may e-mail me directly at gary.vancleef@freshfromflorida.com .

We are providing you with a couple of websites that should be of use to you concerning Florida’s laws regarding beekeeping and registration. The Division’s website is http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/p...ry/apiary.html and the University of Florida’s website is http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/afbee/ . We are sure you will find them a wealth of information.

We are now in a unique situation. Code enforcement is looking for unregistered beekeepers to fine.
    We wish you the best!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Florida Beekeeper Registration

There is a graduated fee schedule.
    By signing the application the beekeeper agrees to comply with appropriate rules of the department. Each application for registration (DACS-08176) or renewal of registration must be accompanied by the proper registration fee based on the total number of colonies operated by the registrant as follows:
    Number of Colonies Fee
    1 – 5 $10
    6 – 40 $20
    41 – 200 $40
    201 – 500 $70
    501 – more $100
    americasbeekeeper.com

I'm curious to know how the Florida Department of Agriculture is making registration seem like a good thing for beekeepers to do (other than by legally requiring it)?

Here in Maine, we have one inspector for the entire state - this year he had an assistant. And they do a great job - inspecting migratory hives coming in for pollination, teaching bee schools, inspecting hives for hobbyists (like me), working with our board of pesticide control, and teaching the predators/pests segments of most bee schools.

I rate the job they do at A+, but wonder about what more they could do with a larger staff: There are many hobbyists who don't have a reasonable incentive to register their colonies, and then there are the issues of honey purity/sales (current regs are not often enforced) and the use of novel/unapproved medications in hives.

I hate the idea that there are laws on the books that are not enforced. Is the push for registrations in Florida an attempt at a money grab, or is an attempt to get more beekeepers into the system? And I know you've got Africanization worries that we don't. (for the most part)
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

If Maine had more Apiary Inspectors they would be able to inspect more migratory colonies. They would have to inspect more resident beehives to justify employing them. Those Inspectors would be seasonally employed too. I believe Tony Jadszack is employed full time, but I don't knwo what he does during the time of year in which bees can't be inspected.

Tony has been at this a long time. I hope he is bringing someone along to replace him when he retires.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Apiary Inspection is definitely not a revenue generator for Florida. Niche' pollinators, new beekeepers, take about 3 hours each which works out to about $3.33 an hour. We have 9 inspectors and 3 supervisors that also inspect. There are over 2800 registered beekeepers in Florida. The goal is to keep American foulbrood under 2 percent. Helping beekeepers maintain healthy hives is just a benefit of the personal extension service we offer. There are also plenty of migratory beekeepers building up hives in Florida's winter, which lasts a week or two.
    americasbeekeeper.com

R u yourself an Inspector?
    Mark Berninghausen

Gary: Is this a 'new' push for registration? Is it the same code enforcers that look for building/zoning violations that are looking for unregistered hives? Curious to know where Beekeepers stand legally on swarm/colony removals now...I know there were some negotiations in the works. Any changes yet? Thanks!

ps...I could NOT be more pleased with my inspector!!! Pass on the kind words please....I'm in district 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    ps...I could NOT be more pleased with my inspector!!! Pass on the kind words please....I'm in district 13.
    Same here. The Florida Bee Inspectors are helpful. They will come to bat for you when needed also. The state intervened when a city code enforcment officer tried to enforce an anti-beekeeping ordinace after the state law (over-rides local ordinace) was passed. The come and inspect, give you pointers and share their experience. Good for all involved.

Thanks but no thanks. I have no desire to have anyone fining me for failure to register my bees. Leave me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Splorndle View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. I have no desire to have anyone fining me for failure to register my bees. Leave me alone.
    I appreciate what my State Inspectors are doing...keeping the 'leave me alone' types from allowing diseases to spread! They are indeed, a wonderful resource.

I am NOT for "Uncle Sam" having his fingers in ALL I do...but I will speak for myself only....I LOVE my FL Inspector, and I am glad they are here!

Thank you Jeremy is our newest inspector covering South Florida.
    Code enforcement figured out long ago that we have to publish the list of Registered Beekeepers, especially Pinellas. Now they can only go after unregistered beekeepers as of July 1st.
    The Chief was out the week the Bee Protection Law took effect so I fielded many calls from attorneys in South Florida that do not like bees. I do enjoy reading the new law to them.
    Swarm and colony removal is still developing. You can collect swarms and even charge. If you charge and something goes wrong you are subject to the same standards as every other business. Colony removal will be permitted soon. Apiary Inspection has no authority or connection with AES (if you use chemicals or anything that kills insects) or Consumer Services (if you charge too much, someone gets killed or hurt, damage to a structure, building repair codes)
    I am the Apiary Inspection supervisor for North Florida sqkcrk. That is basically everything north of Orlando.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Yeah, save me your anti freedom sanctimony. The spread of disease in bees can be handled without a system of penalties. The end in this kind of system is always the same and life is too short to explain it to condescending folks like you.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    I am the Apiary Inspection supervisor for North Florida sqkcrk. That is basically everything north of Orlando.
    As an Apiary Inspector, what restrictions are there on how many colonies you can own, what degree of business can you maintain and still hang onto your State employment? Here in NY, back in 2006, Apiary Inspectors had to choose between keeping their bees and being employed seasonally as an Apiary Inspector. How are things in FL?

I would have loved it if our program had Grandfathered those, like myself, who had colonies in further employment. I wished we had been more extensionlike in our work. I woulkd have loved more education, more training, on all aspects of beekeeping and how to present knowledge to local beekeeping clubs. But the reason for us not doing extension was "That's what Cornell is for, we are regulatory." Too bad. We could have had more beekeeper support here in NY if we had.

And, really? Code Enforcement Officers in FL have time and budget enuf so they can go around looking for violations? Maybe my experience is too limited. I thought Code Enforcement Officers approved or disapproved building plans, septic systems and such. Maybe things are done differently in FL.
    Mark Berninghausen

Yeah, save me your anti freedom sanctimony. The spread of disease in bees can be handled without a system of penalties. The end in this kind of system is always the same and life is too short to explain it to condescending folks like you.
    You focus too much on the fines and not enuf on the service. A service you may not need, but, if a neighbor is maintaining diseased colonies you may appreciate.

I bet, if you are found to own colonies of bees unregistered, the first thing which will be done is you will be given a chance to comply w/ the registration requirement. Then, if you still refuse, you may get a ticket, which, if you comply w/in a certain time will pose no penalty, but if you don't you will have to pay something. And, you will be registrested by the Apiary Inspector anyway.

What is your situation in NC Splorndle? Does NC have mandatory apiary registration?
    Mark Berninghausen

The Florida Bee inspectors are very helpful. Most are also active members of local bee clubs, and happily help out new beeks even on their days off.

Where and what are these fines you type of??

Last edited by tommyt; 01-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Ttt

So.....who is handling the "honey quality" proposed in 2008?
    How do they do that....viscosity, color or actual lab tests....sounds like more taxes to me!!

I actually support the registration.....but want the pest controll companies to stay out of our business.
    Swarms are our business!

Smells like fish...tastes like honey!

Bobby

Apiary Inspection encourages not discourages beekeeping. We do not fine beekeepers for not registering, nor much else I have been told. Fines are a last resort. We are not "Bee Police".
    Food Safety will monitor and test any honey quality or honey laws.
    americasbeekeeper.com

The inspectors in Fl. are a tremendous resource, mine, is I think, 3rd generation beekeeper. Knows what healthy bees looked like before mites. Want to make splits, raise queens make honey, move hives, who has local queens, how to check for mites, what to do about shb how far away are the closest hives how to feed, what’s in bloom, who needs pollination, any afb or efb in the area etc. Our retired state inspector Lawrence Cutts invented the Cutts Beetle blaster (I have no connection to the company) however they do promote all the latest chems and are rooting for Monsanto’s GMO bees. Anyway the fee is way beyond cheep. Cheaper than the Peen state course plus they let ya know how your bees are. I don’t know if they’re much help with commercial guys but the newbee ?the cat’s meow, bee’s knees.
    I’m really not that serious