Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My village may be getting rid of my hives???

The Village of Mundelein Illinois is having a meeting tonight, topics discussed at this meeting will be "whether or not to include resident’s ability to keep chickens; including chicken coops and runs in their backyards and Apiaries (Bee keeping)".

Mundelein never had a code against beekeeping before...I checked into it! My property is located in the downtown area and I'm sure I've been the topic of discussion for quite some time.

I will attend the meeting tonight and hear what they have to say. If they decide to do away with beekeeping, can I be grandfathered in and keep the hive on the side of my home? Are their laws to help me?

Default Re: My village may be getting rid of my hives???

Check with the State Beekeepers Association pronto.

For some reason I thought I remembered coming across a piece of Illinois legislation that stated that local governments were not allowed to make laws regarding beekeeping, it all had to come from the state. If that's true, then I don't think they can limit you provided you're in compliance with state law (are your hives registered?) but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, big grain of salt, etc.

Sounds to me you should be grandfathered in. Take pics with todays paper with your beehives in the background. It should prove you had them before any new "law".

Another thing I'd do is try to recruit your friendly neighbors to go speak on your behalf, letting the meeting know that your hives, because they're properly managed, are not a nuisance. And having a local beekeeper means that if there are bee related problems in the town they have a resource, a resource that's otherwise gone. If concern exists about beekeeping then encourage the village to enact an ordinance that requires compliance with all state laws and also with good management practices. Provide for setbacks from property lines in the flight paths, providing a water source etc. Allowing the village to feel as if it has control of the situation I think is the key. Help them do that your way.

For some reason I thought I remembered coming across a piece of Illinois legislation that stated that local governments were not allowed to make laws regarding beekeeping

I would be interested if this is true or not. I live near one of the largest cities in the state and they have an no bee in city limits ordinance. Luckily I'm not in that city but I have a couple friends that would like to keep bees but can not because of the ordinance.

I would think the OP should be grandfathered in, but my guess is that if they don't want bees there you will eventually not be allowed to have them there.

~Matt

Not allowing americans to produce their own food hmmm sad.

Not sure about laws to regulate beekeeping must be from the state. I think that is incorrect.

However I do know for a FACT that Illinois right to farm law states that anything farm related(including beekeeping) that has been done on the land for 2 or more years IS grandfathered in if any local laws change. As long as you continue to keep bees you can continue, if you stop then you wouldn't be able to start back up later, if they outlaw it.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen across America. [edit] I agree that you are most likely covered by the Grandfather Law, however don't take a chance. Check your state laws covering agriculture.
    I don't mean to make this a political thing,,but it is.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-24-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: off topic - political

I agree with Mr Beeman, if you can prove you had the hives before the law was written it might not apply to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Sounds to me you should be grandfathered in. Take pics with todays paper with your beehives in the background. It should prove you had them before any new "law".
    Dan

In Illinois if you have 5 acres or more you will be exempt in terms of zoning only as it applies to agriculture. The community may have some dicression but can not exclude an agricultural use such as apiaries. Each state is different. Mundelein may control apiaries and chickens for properties less than 5 acres.
    For some reason I thought I remembered coming across a piece of Illinois legislation that stated that local governments were not allowed to make laws regarding beekeeping, it all had to come from the state. If that's true, then I don't think they can limit you provided you're in compliance with state law (are your hives registered?) but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, big grain of salt, etc.[/QUOTE]

Keep us up to date. Contact Lake County Bee Club.

How did it go?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

it is becoming more and more diffucult for the urban person to become more sustainable.
    In Canada and in some of the US states, laws are being passed about having a vegitable garden. People are being ordered to tear it down
    http://grist.org/list/city-officials...ar-on-gardens/

It sounds like an opportunity, unfortunately for both sides. Wonder how it all worked out?

You need to just face it - honey bees are scary and dangerous...
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b-0 winter losses in '14

My cousin is one of your Village of Mundelein trustees (Ray Semple).

He approached me about 2 months ago on this matter, looking for sensible beekeeping code restriction information. At the time it was my understanding from him the Mundelein didn't allow any beekeeping and they were looking to modify that position and allow some beekeeping with reasonable limits.

With the help of some others on this site we provided to Ray examples of several other city's code ordinances that we thought were fair and reasonable. Last time I talked to Ray he was going to try to put forward adopting the same code ordinances that Hastings Nebraska uses.

Not sure how familiar you are with how city government works, but new code ordinance changes can take months and sometimes years to get worked out. Be patient with the process, I believe they are working in favor to allow beekeeping, not trying to limit it.

And for heaven sakes, if you’re breaking ordinance rules now keep it on the down low!

Don Semple

That's good to know, Don!
    Regards, Barry

In Oklahoma.

§2-3-125 - Local Government Regulations and Ordinances Regarding Honeybees and Hives

No county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or other political subdivision of this
    state shall adopt or continue in effect any ordinance, rule, regulation, or resolution prohibiting,
    impeding, or restricting the establishment or maintenance of honeybees in hives. This provision
    shall not be construed to restrict the zoning authority of a county or municipal government to
    establish appropriate locations for apiaries.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Just got word from my cousin that the proposal to allow beekeeping in Mundelein was voted down.

Apparently the anti's came out in force.

I was just going to say - the outcome would depend on how many people were there FOR beekeeping and how many were AGAINST it. Apparently they had been getting calls if they were looking into it.

If you have 5 people there AGAINST bees - "I don't want those mean Africanized bees attacking me." "I'm allergic to bees, and if I get stung I'll have to go to the hospital." and your the lone voice FOR beekeeping, you can almost bet the board is going to go with the 5 people. (They will only have 1 unhappy person that they know of, instead of 5 unhappy people.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast