Thread: Ontario Bees

Default Ontario Bees

Hey everyone, new here, and just starting out. Mostly got everything worked out with one exception, the bees themselves! Im really thinking hard about getting Szabo bees, apparently they are suppose to be really good, and he will sell a whole hive body (sure you pay for it, but i think head start might be nice), Ive also been looking at Ferguson Apiaries and buckfasts but it looks like he only sells queens (no nucs). Kind of going on Kim Flottums advice of buying the best bee you possibly can.

So heard lots of positive reviews about the buckfasts, but absolutly nothing on Szabos?

Default Re: Ontario Bees

Are szabos all those green hives on youtube?

Yeah they are those green hives. Unfortunatly I cant find any info on the breeding/type, nor anyones opinions who has actually used them.

@RAK: I did read that thread before posting, lots of positive reviews on Ferguson Apiaries (from all over North America at that)

Would you guys think it is worthwhile to buy a whole hive body @250 bucks to start out?
    I ended up working out the math, and the hive body comes with everything but a top cover. To buy everything, and then take back the Nuc, I think it works out to being only thirty or so bucks cheaper.

If you got the money and its a healthy hive then sure its a good price. You will most likely make more honey off of it than $250.

Well my thought is that if I start with a hive body, I will more then likely be able to perform some splits. I plan on starting with 3 hives, and hopefully end with 6. I live here in Ontario so most winter (albiet not this one) can be a little harsh, and I hope with 6 hives, at least 2 overwinter nice. Its kind of my insurance policy.

Still waiting for someone to come along and tell be about their experiences with Szabo bees. lol.

Where in Ontario are you?
    I get mine from Dancing Bee in Port Hope.
    Nice bees.
    Haven't had Szabo bees.

Hey honeydrunk, Tibor Szabos bees are good. I have bought a few queens from him. A friend of mine told me that all of his single deeps that he got from Szabo last year, out produced all of his other colonies by a lot. He is planning on buying more this year. He speaks highly of Szabo bees. I don't know where you are from but you could also try Alison Van Alten (Tuckamore Bee Company). She is very friendly and is good with new beeks and her bees are gentle and good workers. I highly recommend Ferguson Apiaries. Bill and his family are great to deal with. He will sell you nucs and if you ask probably single deeps too. If your really interested in Ferguson Apiaries I would contact them soon and get your name on there list. When I spoke with Fergusons in early Dec. they where already taking orders!
    Last edited by Creekside; 01-02-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

What about David Eyre? Is he still selling queens?

Quote Originally Posted by honeydrunk View Post
    Would you guys think it is worthwhile to buy a whole hive body @250 bucks to start out?
    I ended up working out the math, and the hive body comes with everything but a top cover. To buy everything, and then take back the Nuc, I think it works out to being only thirty or so bucks cheaper.
    $250 is about what i would sell 9-10 frames of bees, good queen, box and all.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Hey thanks for all your help folks, Think ive decided I might get a few Szabos, a few Buckfasts, and maybe a local or two and test the waters out! This weekend just trying to get through all the government red tape crap prepared so I can actually be ready (and legal) for spring.

I have 3 Szabo Hives. All 3 are extremely amazing honey producers and extremely healthy, good house keepers and forage well into sunset. They produced more honey from the 3 szabos than my other 7 hives. The szabo hives were ready for winter and produced an extra of 5 supers from 3 hives between middle of August to first or second week in September. one hive actually produced another half of a super after that time and I took it and added it to a weaker hive.

I would recommend Szabo to anyone. Best bees I've ever seen.

AJ,

How do you find the temperament of Sazbo's bees? Are they super gentle? Medium? Testy?

Thanks,

Adam

I find them to be very curious. Meaning you can expect to see them everywhere within 100 yards of the hives. I think alot of this has to do with the amount of bees they have during the main nectar months. I find while working the bees the are quite calm for the most part and easy to work with. The only time I had any real confrontation is in late fall when the hive was packed and there wasn't really many bees out foraging so there was more guards which I would expect any hive to act this way.

I know this thread has 'gathered some dust' but wanted to share some pertinant info re Tibor Szabo (located outside Guelph Ontario) and his Queen rearing.

I was privileged to hear a presentation by Tibor last month at a beek gathering. I first heard (I am a newb) of Hygenic testing from Tibor there. Tibor uses the pin prick method for hygenic testing in choosing the queens he is raising. His method is not identical to, but similar to the one descibed in this link.

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/breeding.html

It may be that other producers are doing the same and is IMO worth checking on when choosing your supplier.

d

Quote Originally Posted by fshrgy99 View Post
    I know this thread has 'gathered some dust' but wanted to share some pertinant info re Tibor Szabo (located outside Guelph Ontario) and his Queen rearing.

I was privileged to hear a presentation by Tibor last month at a beek gathering. I first heard (I am a newb) of Hygenic testing from Tibor there. Tibor uses the pin prick method for hygenic testing in choosing the queens he is raising. His method is not identical to, but similar to the one descibed in this link.

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/breeding.html

It may be that other producers are doing the same and is IMO worth checking on when choosing your supplier.

d
    Awesome read, thanks for sharing!