Default Getting Bees to Guam

I am looking to establish an apiary in Guam. I am new to beekeeping and have been scouring the internet for places that will ship packaged bees to Guam. Does any body know where or how I can get bees shipped to Guam?

Default Re: Getting Bees to Guam

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hefley View Post
    I am looking to establish an apiary in Guam. I am new to beekeeping and have been scouring the internet for places that will ship packaged bees to Guam. Does any body know where or how I can get bees shipped to Guam?
    Check with the Postal Service. I know that packages used to be mailed; however, that may no longer be the case. Also, DHL and UPS.

But I have a question for you. Are there wild honeybees on Guam? I imagine so, and that being the case, you would be better off advertising bee removal or putting out swarm traps to get started. It would be dangerous to Guam's bees at this point to bring in outside stock, assuming that varroa and the hive beetle are not yet there. Once you had bees, you could import queens to improve your stock via the postal service.

You won't be able to use the US Postal Service to get bees to Guam. You can read the rules here:
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

You had better check the regulations concerning importing bees there. You may not be allowed or they might only allow imports from certain countries. You might be able to get them shipped by air like the New Zealand packages are shipped here to Canada.