Default Healing power of honey in Animals?

My niece found a red tail hawk the other day that was badly injured by a what appeared to be a dog. She called a bird rescue that came and got the bird and took it to an animal hospital. They called her yesterday to tell her that the bird would recover from its wounds but had internal injuries. When she asked what they were giving it for meds they said not much really just a few CC's of Manuka orally every few hours. I have never heard of this before.
    I am very well informed of the medicinal value of manuka honey. I was badly burned in iraq in 2008 and the army dressed my wounds in manuka honey bandages. to this day i have very few scars. I know its used for internal infections in the stomach, stomach cancer, ulcers, etc etc. but im having a hard time figuring out how it would treat a different internal injury I.E. lung, bleeding etc. If anyone has any input i would love to hear it. My girlfriend is a Vet and would love to implement such remedies in her practice.

Default Re: Healing power of honey in Animals?

Very interesting, thankx for sharing. It seems to me in our, "High tech", world we assume we know allot more than we actually do. Our understanding of how biological systems work is still vastly overshadowed by our ignorance. I also remain open to the possibility that we are actually more ignorant than our forefathers. What I wouldn't give to know what burned in the library at Alexandria. Hope you will keep us posted on your vet friends experiences if she decides to add honey to her treatment regimen.

I had a lady buy honey from me that she was going to mix with feed for her horses. Something about how they get sand in their stomachs when grazing, especially here I'm sure because of all the sand in the fields. Sand everywhere. Anyway, she had an underweight horse and the honey in the feed is supposed to help eliminate sand out of it's stomach so that it can gain weight. She only bought a pint, not sure how effective that would be. I think if she got some "cooking" grade honey and did it consistently she would know if that works or not.

I have also given honey to a few people I know going into radiation treatment of neck/throat to help lower radiation damage. To eat I mean. Plus, I learned that cancer/tumors feed on refined sugar, but not honey. What a perfect way to help our loved ones who have cancer.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

A long, long time ago we had a dog that was hit by a car. Our vet was a Vietnam war vet who cut his teeth patching up military dogs and such (including everything from beast to fowl among the civilians who came to him for help). He asked us if our dog (part Doberman, part Labrador) would take to being stitched up without any meds. Seeing that it would be cheaper and knowing the dog as we did, we said "sure". So, the dog got stitches, a shot and we got a prescription for recovery. No Frisbee for a while. Keep him off the streets. Change the dressing daily and put HONEY on the stitches. He said it's better than anything he has locked in the cabinet so long as infection didn't start. We did it. Infection didn't start. I'm a believer ever since. That would've been around 1979. Your mileage may vary and I'm definitely NOT a vet or an MD of any kind. Just telling what I know.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Correction...Vietnam war VET. Also, a few years back I had an accident while splitting wood. Let's just say that I also split my hand and that I regret (but am not ashamed to say) that splitting wood with a hydraulic splitter and having a few brews is not a good recipe for success. Anyway, in spite of my wife's insistence that I visit an emergency room to get what would have amounted to a bunch of stitches, I chose to clean and stitch myself up. Full disclosure....I used a LOT of disinfectant as I stitched but my daily dressing consisted of gauze and honey. I'd be happy to show what little scar remains on my hand but I'd do it again (recognizing that upon the very first sign of infection, I'd drop in to my doctor and 'fess up to her). To this day I keep a home made propolis mix and a small, spare jar of honey for fixing the hurts. Again, this is NOT advice from an MD. Just my own, personal experience.

Where did you get the needles, sutures, and did you just man-up without any numbing solution?
    Regards, Barry

Needles and such came from a med kit that I got from a surplus store. And yes, I did man up. By that time, the pain couldn't get much worse. Wasn't the first time I'd sewn myself up and it it didn't take many stitches to get the worst of it closed up. Not that I'd want to do it every day but I hate going to the doc for what I can do myself.

In the hand no less. You're a tough cookie!
    Regards, Barry

It split my fingers but thankfully didn't break any bones. Lot's of architecture showing when I closed it up though! Now, you can barely see one puncture spot from the stitching. There was a lot of junk I had to cut out before I closed up. I'm pretty thankful for everything. It took a year or so before I could close my hand all the way but it's all good now!

WOW! thats awesome to hear these success stories. I have used propolis from my hives to treat burns and small cuts before...always in the raw because i have NO CLUE on how to refine it but April and I had a long talk last night about implementing honey into her regiment especially with folks that cant really afford the expensive meds for their beloved pets. we have our own little red neck rescue out here and will probably try it out on a few of our animals first. Thank you so much for all your input. Im almost giddy thinking about it. And 10 year army rangers dont get very giddy these days! HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!