Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Another noninterventional beekeeper.....

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    .... I just want to know they'll be well taken care of.
    I agree this is not a realistic expectation. We all know there are a lot more "Bee-Havers" than Beekeepers. A lot of folks just want to have a hive but not to tend it. That's their prerogative.

I sold a hive to just such a person this spring. He called me all summer to get me to come look at it. I had been telling him all that time to check to see if it needed feeding since we had a record drought. By the time I made it over, the hive was a lost cause with 2 deep supers of empty combs and a single seem of bees. I recommended he protect the combs until next year, but he's not following through with that either.
    Contrast this to another guy I sold a hive to that worked his hive well, got honey, is happy, and will be buying another from me in April.

Most of my customers last spring were first timers. Most were successful and many are repeating this year. I think, if you supply a quality product, give good advice [I'm available by phone all the time and I supply a flyer with my advice on how to manage the nuc] most will be successful.

Sold 3 complete single med hives last year folks came to pick em up, had just finished a hop guard app on them they were strong showed them the queen they were happy showed them beetle traps and how to use them showed them what to use for mites and how to do a mite drop count. Told them they were going to have to super in a couple of weeks if they didn’t want them to swarm. They said they all had wooden ware and all supplies on order I told them how to feed in the winter. Never heard back hope it went well. I can say I sold great hives way too cheep and compared to the nukes I saw being sold by some commercial guys my bees beat them by a mile.
    I’m really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    I sell bees and Nucs and offer classes. This year Virginia has a Beekeeping Grant of $200.00 per hive. This has generated, IMO, the "add water and stir" beekeeper. I cant count how many times I have been told, "how hard can it be?" The problem with selling to these folks is that is always someone elses fault why the bees didnt make it. Even those who have gone through the classes sometimes cannot comprehend what is involved.
    Finally something I agree with you on. I'm thrilled to get some help if the grant works, but not sure it was the best use of funds. I would have like to see it directed towards more advanced beekeeping education.
    Class is not enough. We teach a 7-8 week class. We find that Mentoring is critical component and strive very hard to set every student up with a mentor.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i had a couple approach me about buying some of my bees.

they wanted them delivered, in the box, and set up on their property. they wanted bees so that they could enjoy watching them come and go, and feel good about adding to the bee population, (since the bees were in 'decline').

the point was that they did not want to have to do anything at all with the bees.

after some discussion about how if neglected, their bees could become a source of pests and disease which might harm other bees, they changed their minds.

good intentions sometimes have unintended and adverse consequences.
    I would have rented each hive to them for $50/month so they could watch the bees, then I would have harvested the honey. I probably would have given them a jar of honey for customer relations.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

not a bad idea. this location would have been a little out of the way for me.

i'm having second thoughts about having an out yard after losing some hives in one. it's harder when you don't get to watch them on a daily basis.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Interesting thread. Most of my few customers are not first timers, though some are. Never had the sort who were totally ignorant about beekeeping. Most claim to have read all of my website and most of Michael Bush's. Of course mine doesn't contain its own library like his does. Most of my customers know what they are looking for and know that I'm the only one around who has it.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I had some one ask me after looking at the hundreds of supers in the shop ..."Don't you just put those boxes out and the bees come and fill them????"

Crazy Roland

Adam your Grandfather sounds exactly like mine, never had an extractor; just crush and strain. The first time he opened a hive for me and let me look in I was hooked. It's been over thirty years and I still miss him.

+1 to what Adam Foster Collins

I would think that informing the "guest" about the local bee club or a solid, trusted book for beginners would also trump recommending any forums.