Question Moving our hives in winter

We are moving during winter, and have to move our 3 hives. We live in N.E. Ohio, and have snow on the ground now. Any advice on how to do this with the least amount of trauma to our ladies? Anything special we should do in the spring to help them get use to the new location? Thanks!

Default Re: Moving our hives in winter

It would be best to run a 1" ratchet strap around each hive top to bottom to keep them from coming apart, then gently load and transport. They will reorient to the new location with no problems.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I'd run two ratchet straps, one near front and one near back. Supers can shift corners ways and make openings that bees escape from.

Aluminum screen makes the best covers for openings as some bees squeeze out 1/8 mesh.

I'd place the hives so the frames are aligned in line with the vehicle, Any braking or sudden stop won't jar the frame as much.

Make sure you have some air flow/ventilation through the hive via a bottom entrance and a top entrance or screened holes in inner covers.

I'd put a losse fitting tarp over the hives, if I was hauling in colder temps and hives were in the back of a truck. Precaution for wind chill and over heating from sun.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

As cold as it is I'd be afraid you would knock them off their clusters... Can you go back in the spring and get them..

Bees are moved successfully in the winter every year and in huge numbers. I would NOT supply any extra ventilation! One small opening screened is more than adequate.

Moving bees in winter is easier than moving then in summer, easpecially this early in winter when there is no brood in the hive. Just screen the entrance and strap the hive together. Move to where you want. You can also move hives short distances >1mile without orientation problems.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I did this a few years ago for 4 hives. It was easy and I'd do it again. I strapped them together, one by one, lifted each off the stands (I used my son's friend to help and the stands are about 14" high or so) and set them on a piece of plywood. The plywood had a piece of rope running between the corners sort of like a sled to pull it back uphill. One at a time, I "sledded" them to the new location while my friend steadied them. Once there, we carefully lifted them onto the stand and that was it. Come early spring I had a lot of leveling to do though since I hadn't worked on the site before winter set in. Even so, I'd do it again.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"