Question What to do with extra queen peanuts

So last year I learned about the peanuts and this year I'm wondering what can I do with them? Seems silly to let there be a battle royale, yet I can't keep making split and/or nucs.

Default Re: What to do with extra queen peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    So last year I learned about the peanuts and this year I'm wondering what can I do with them? Seems silly to let there be a battle royale, yet I can't keep making split and/or nucs.
    In 50+ years of beekeeping I have not seen queen peanuts

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Get yourself one of the 39$ incubators at tractor supply and play around with hatching them. The experts say you should not leave more than 2 cells in a split so the queen don't waste time and energy killing the late hatchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rube63 View Post
    Get yourself one of the 39$ incubators at tractor supply and play around with hatching them. The experts say you should not leave more than 2 cells in a split so the queen don't waste time and energy killing the late hatchers.

What "experts" would that bee? Please give me referrals.

The virgins do more than fight it out.... to.. kill the other queens. Its my observation that more of the competition gets chewed out and stung though the sidewall than elimination by any other method. Queens do not all hatch at the same moment. Ever see what happens when you leave the cell bars in a finisher to long? it toughens the ladies up during their maturation time. cutting cells for for cuttings sake is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    So last year I learned about the peanuts and this year I'm wondering what can I do with them?
    Make Peanut Butter.

Make. Up a nuc box and let It hatch. This is what I have been doing. Pull the frame shake some nurse bee in to it and let it hatch. Now the next time you need a queen you have it ready to go. Yes I keep a feed jar on it.
    David

Make some queen castles and you'll have queens all summer and fall. Or you could make bee pheromones when they hatch.
    I have read many times to only let 2 QC in a nuc when hatching out queens when i made queens last year{5} i only used 1 QC per nuc and it all worked out realy well and that was the first time i ever try to make queens .
    I know i'll be making all new queens this year for my bee yards .
    Make more nucs and sell them every one who sells them sell out every year. Can't wait till spring.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYz65Vquxg

I was just saying what this guy said in this video by Mel Disselkoen. Pretty much everything I know about beekeeping was learned from reading or watching what other people took the time to pass on. When I see something I think will be helpful to people asking for suggestions I am eager to pass them along. You know like the fact that queens chew out the other queens then sting them thru the cell wall. And thats good for the maturation process. And the fact that they don't all hatch at the same moment. Who would have thought that.

If i have multiple cells on different frames, I just put that frame in a nuc with more bees and frames and leave it alone. If you dont want more nucs you could sell it or give it away. If thats not an option you could give queen cells to other beekeeps around you. Keeping healthy queens and extra space in your hive should reduce the queen cell formation.

Its always better to have a few nuc hives around than not.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rube63 View Post
    Incubator thats something to play with this spring i'll have to give it a try.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}