Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanted Mating Nuc plans And Frames.

Looking for the one with the smaller frames. About the size of a 10 frame box. with four hives to the box. Or am I better off doing them as a single or double box. My winter Project.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

Default Re: Wanted Mating Nuc plans And Frames.

you should check out Lauris post on mating nucs it should be very helpful.

David, a couple of thoughts. I use 5 frames and a 9 inch total width box, but you will see that Michael Palmer (nuc evangelist) uses 4 frame nucs for a total width of about 8 1/8 inches. That way he can put standard telescopic covers on top of 2 side by side nucs; There is a lot to be said for interchangeable equipment.
    A lot of it is personal preferance. I don't like divided boxes as my woodworking skills don't divide them very well, and then if I take apart stacked divided boxes I forget which way round they were and worry if I'm stacking them back together the same way.
    I really like OD Frank cleats
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...odfrank+cleats
    These are the ones I have airing in a bedroom.
    http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/us...ml?sort=6&o=11
    Side boards are 19 1/8 long by 9 5/8, the end boards are 9 by 9 5/8. I make the rabbett 3/8 deep by 6/8 on three sides; One becomes the frame rest and the other 2 accommodate the side boards ( 3/8 + 19 1/8 + 3/8 = 19 7/8 total length).
    I clamp the rabbetts with Titebond 2. Drill and nail, drill an entrance hole 3 inches from the top, add cleats, and finally primer and 2 coats of outdoor oops paint.

If you are using these for mating, we have used a four frame duplex, eash frame is half as long as normal, and the depth of a shallow.

Crazy Roland

Ya Just finish one of Bush's talks and need to do some more thinking on witch way I will go. If it will be a mini nuc box or a nuc box with a feeder to take up space. The one thought I have is to cut a frame in half and mabe a little less. So two of them could go in a normal box on a new frame rest in the center. THe only thing I know is that I didn't like a 10 frame set up for four nucs. In the last two years I have one way or other lost some queens to them. I might do some of both. The mini for some egg cell/ queen raising/ by punch cell
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

Quote Originally Posted by johns bees View Post
    you should check out Lauris post on mating nucs it should be very helpful.
    I second that.

Sorry David, on a re-read I just noticed the bit about wanting the ones with the smaller frames.

My mating nucs are 4 way with 4 mini frames in each, with standard hive bodies and covers.

Bottom Board: Pine rim with 1/2" plywood dadoed into rim with 3/8 rim on each side of plywood. So rim is about 1 1/4...a bit less as 1/2" plywood is 7/16. Two 3/8" cleats are attached to bottom, corresponding to position of central divider and internal feeders.

Hive Body: Standard hive body with rabbett cut into the middle of each short side to accept 5/4" divider. Top edge of divider has a 3/8" x 5/8" frame rest cut into each side. That leaves 3/8" on top as the separator. When cutting the 5/4" divider, don't buy 5/4x12", buy 5/4x6". Then shiplap the two together. Helps with shrinkage and cupping.

Feeders are 2" wide x the width of the cavity from divider to box inside edge...minis...1/8" so you can remove feeder and bees can't cross around feeder. Depth is the same as the box you use.

Inner Cover: Grain bag.

Outer Cover: Standard.

Frames: Buy standard deep frames and two extra end bars foir each frame bought. Cut top bars so they fit between the frame rests, minus a 16th so they can be removed. Can't remember the length off the top of my head.. Re-mill the top bar to match the other end. Cut and re-mill the bottom bars to fit. I cross wire wired foundation. Starting out, you might cut up brood combs on a table saw top fit into frames.

Place mating nuc frames into broodnest of strong colony to Get brood in comb. Doesn't always work well...bees put nectar and pollen in minis and queen ignores. If you have wintered nucleus colonies, elevate brood and bees over excluder, emptying bottom box. Place minis in end to end with queen. She has to lay there. When minis are full of brood, break up into mating nucs...two frames with brood, one honey, and one empty comb or foundation. Give cells next day.

Delete double post
    Last edited by Michael Palmer; 12-23-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Double Post

Hi Mike,
    I've made similar feeders out of water resistant 1/8" masonite, assembled with poly construction adhesive. The masonite became moist, swollen and moldy. It looks as though yours are made with luan, do you seal the feeder with something? after assembly, or as parts? Thanks

Michael
    I thought you did mostly med frames? I need to plan a week or two of free labor with you some time
    David
    Last edited by My-smokepole; 12-23-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Add

>These are the ones I have airing in a bedroom.
    http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/us...ml?sort=6&o=11

Still in the bedroom? You must not be married. At least make the bed so the sheets do not absorb the paint odor. Is that a children's room? I'm calling Child Protective Services. And that hive color!!!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    ...Still in the bedroom? You must not be married... And that hive color!!!
    Hahaha. Yeah, that looks like Adrian's testing the limits of a family's love...

I am thinking over this same issue. I am pretty well set on a single small mating nuc. Something like Mann Lakes Styrofoam Mini Mating Nuc. If anyone has palns for something like that I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will have to make it up on my own.

One concern I am not certain about is the issue of the queen needing enough space to move and a minimum population of bees in order to maintain proper temp. I have found a number for the population at around 1000 bees minimum but I cannot find an area minimum. As in square inches of comb. I am thinking these mini nucs would be more than enough since the issue for a mated queen is more an issue of being confined to a cage. I am just looking for a little more concrete information than my best guess.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

One issue I have with single minis is...what do you do with them when queen rearing is finished for the season? Dump them out on the ground? Unite many into one?

The 4 way can be expanded to 2 way...from 4 combs each to 8 combs each by catching one queen and moving the feeder to the sidewall. They can be wintered like that or 6 queens can be caught and the now queenless 2 way can be united on top of the queen-right 2 way. Or, a 10 frame mini super can be added to each side of the 2 way. Then, with wintering minis, you have brood and bees and queens in the spring to start the new mating nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Woodside View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I've made similar feeders out of water resistant 1/8" masonite, assembled with poly construction adhesive. The masonite became moist, swollen and moldy. It looks as though yours are made with luan, do you seal the feeder with something? after assembly, or as parts? Thanks
    Water resistant masonite...is that the same as tempered? I have as many with tempered masonite as with luan. They don't get wet. I don't seal the luan or masonite. I do use exterior grade construction adhesive to seal joints and between rim and masonite/luan.

Medium comb are for honey storage...deeps are best for brood. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    One issue I have with single minis is...what do you do with them when queen rearing is finished for the season? Dump them out on the ground? Unite many into one?

The 4 way can be expanded to 2 way...from 4 combs each to 8 combs each by catching one queen and moving the feeder to the sidewall. They can be wintered like that or 6 queens can be caught and the now queenless 2 way can be united on top of the queen-right 2 way. Or, a 10 frame mini super can be added to each side of the 2 way. Then, with wintering minis, you have brood and bees and queens in the spring to start the new mating nucs.
    Hey I'm workin on it, okay I am just kidding it is also true I have a long way to go. I will not be using Minis exclusively. they fit a specific roll in my overall plan. Right now I have an idea of what I think will work. Next year I will start actually doing it and see what needs to be adjusted. abandoned and or completely re planned.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Looking for the one with the smaller frames. About the size of a 10 frame box. with four hives to the box. Or am I better off doing them as a single or double box. My winter Project.
    David
    How many queens are you Mating ???
    You do know the little Mating Nuc have a hard time drawing comb

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 12-24-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    You do know the little Mating Nuc have a hard time drawing comb

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Why is that?