Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Split Question

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DonShackelford 
#1 ·
I have 3 hives going into the winter. I am looking to expand as much as possible this spring, I also would like to get some honey from them for my own use. What would the be the best way to accoplish this, if its possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
shouldn't be hard then.

with unlimited queens and equipment, and if you want as many hives as possible, split the heck out of the two weaker hives coming out of winter.

let the best one make honey, then split the heck out of it.

you may have to feed to get all of those splits built up for next winter, based on what your location's overwintering requirements are.

sounds like fun!

#8 ·
... I am looking to expand as much as possible this spring, I also would like to get some honey ...
You'll notice Mel says you can dedicate resources for honey or bees, but not both from the same hive.

You might also check out Michael Palmer's discussions on nucs. I like Mel's ideas, especially his notching technique, but MP has advanced increasing through nucs to a science. There are many similarities, but the 5 over 5 deep nuc box is a great tool. I started 10 this past fall, and plan many more next season.

#9 ·
I concur on the supering of nucs! I do it by having partitions in deep supers. The reason it helps so much is shared heat. Keeping that nest temperature up for comb building and brood rearing is essential. A giant hole in the bottom is NOT. I use screened bottoms to set those nucs on top of strong overwintered hives so they can benefit from that heat too. It can get tall pretty fast, but if beekeeping was easy, every fool would be doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.