Hybrid View

Default Using a boardman entrance feeder as a top feeder in a Warré

Hello Fello Warréors,

I made an unwise box removal in early fall, and put it back on the hive after killing much brood by chilling. There was lots of nectar in it, and minimal honey.

All that to say that I've been feeding this hive honey from another colony in my yard.

I've seen first hand the robbing that can take place when using a boardman feeder in the entrance. No more.

I still use my boardman feeder, but now it's inside the quilt box instead of the entrance.
    I used a knife to cut a slit that penetrated both the quilt cloth and the top cloth. You don't have to orient the cut parallel to the topbars, but I think it's easier. Also, the cut doesn't have to be between top bars. Wherever you think you can pull up both cloths and do the least damage. Mine was lightly propolized to the top bars.

Now, pull up one side of the incision and slip the ledge of the boardman feeder underneath both cloth layers.

The jar is easy to monitor and replace without opening the hive, and the bees get the feed in the spot that most helps them.

Win-Win.

You do need to make sure that your quilt box is taller than your jar, or otherwise make arrangements for clearance. I found it easiest to remove all of the shavings before making the incision, and replacing them after the feeder was installed. My shavings hold together so that when I remove an empty jar the jar shaped cavity remains making it easy to load a fresh jar of feed.

I have no idea whether they're eating it straight away or simply taking it down and storing it.

Doubt I'm the first to cobble this type of top feeder together, but I'm sure loving it.

Default Re: Using a boardman entrance feeder as a top feeder in a Warré

Good to hear that's working for you. I'm using a modified top feeder right now to also act as a condensation collector. I took the quilt off entirely. We'll see come Spring if that was a wise decision or not. In the meantime, Advance Happy New Year to you and your family!

I'd love to see a picture. I modified my bottom entrance so that the boardman feeder opens internal but is still on the bottom. (https://www.box.com/s/ac8956ebc0130cedcade) but I still have to mess with the entrance area to change it. I like the idea of putting it in a more convenient place.

The first picture is when I first installed the modified top feeder adding a styrofoam sheet inside for a floater. After a while, the bees were breaking the styrofoam up. So I replaced it with a waffle shelf liner. It lasts longer but the bees tend to propolize it to the bottom once the syrup has been used up. So I have to occasionally remove the screen laying over the feeder and peel the liner off the floor. Or, if it's too badly propolized, I replace the liner altogether.

I also placed a small hole to one side of the top feeder so the bees can use it as an upper entrance. Over the feeder, I placed a flat telescoping roof and this protects and hides the top entrance. I think Warre's gabled roof would work, too, but I wanted the top really insulated so there is a layer of thick styrofoam sheet and a hard plastic sheet under the roof.

Attached Images Attached Images