Re: Walk away splits
There are pros and cons to this method.
The main pro is it's easy. Chop the hive into two, and walk away.
The main con is that it's an inefficient way to produce a new queen. You are alocating 1/2 the origional hives resources to producing an emergency raised queen. This process will take 4, 5, or even 6 weeks. assuming there are sufficient drones around you can expect a 75% chance the queen will mate successfully and start laying. The other 25% don't get a queen, but by the time you know that a lot of resources have been wasted, you can either give it another comb of eggs and try again, or combine it back with the other hive.
BTW the 75% is a broad average. Like they say in the infomercials, individual results may vary.
"We don't need no education" (Pink Floyd) - Yes you do, you just used a double negative.