Thread: watered

Default watered

how do i give water to the bees in winter?

the bees are inside the pavilion. there are 57- 61 Fahrenheit. humidity conditions are like this that the water do not condense inside the hive.
    i noticed that the bees go outside to look for water.

outside of the hives snow and ice (temperatures below 32 F) and if i put them water inside the pavilion they die drown.

thanks!

manuela

Default Re: watered

If you are convinced that your bees need water and it is that warm inside your hive, you could slide in a wet sponge possibly. I doubt they need water. the honey they eat is over 80% water and getting rid of that moisture in winter is more of a problem than supplying outside water. I think you worry to much. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Put something in the water container besides just water. Some things that may be suitable include sponges, wood chips, small rocks, cloth, etc. The bees need something to stand on. You could also, if you have room in the "pavilion", use something like a boardman feeder, with just water in it.

A very simple boardman feeder can be made by punching small holes in the screw-on lid of a glass jar, and inverting it onto some shims big enough for the bees to get to the holes in the lid of the upside-down jar.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

thank you both.
    let's hope i worry too much... i found daily 2-3 bees drown at each hive. maybe they don't need water but why do they drink immediately the water i put?
    i looked for the boardman feeder thanks.

must say it's my first time with bees. they had not any honey in autumn so i mixed bought honey and sugar (50%) maybe they don't find enough water in it?

merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too!

manuela

The bees will need water in winter to use to dilute the honey and sugar for eating it. They need it a liquid to eat it. Put some floating materials, such as twigs and small sticks or wood chips in your open water container for the bees to perch and land on in order to drink water.floating a sponge in the water may work well also.