Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3# Packages on Carniolan shipped??

Hi all,
    Does anyone know of someplace that sells AND ships packages of Carniolan bees? I am looking to get 3-4 packages this spring

Thanks
    Chris in NJ

Default Re: 3# Packages on Carniolan shipped??

Look up the Olivariez site at www.ohbees.com, click sevices. Down the page are links to delivery sites in your neck of the woods. Unless you can make arrangements you would have to drive to the delivery sites. We have had their Carniolan bees and found them to be great comb makes and very good bees.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    Look up the Olivariez site at www.ohbees.com, click sevices. Down the page are links to delivery sites in your neck of the woods. Unless you can make arrangements you would have to drive to the delivery sites. We have had their Carniolan bees and found them to be great comb makes and very good bees.
    Dave
    I would recommend them.

Shamrock seems your best bet, but there are Carns in Southern CT too.
    Last edited by TheBuzz; 12-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks for the replies...do you know where in Southern Connecticut? I will do a search later to see if I can find them. Is anyone aware of an option closer than California (outside of the Southern CT)?

Thanks
    CHris in NJ

Franklin CT and Granby are both 2.5hrs away from you one way. I have "carns" from Granby and I've gotten Queens from Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    Franklin CT and Granby are both 2.5hrs away from you one way. I have "carns" from Granby and I've gotten Queens from Franklin.
    We have a few and will ship from NC. Tates Apiaries 336 788 4554 or tates apiaries.com
    larry

If you can get LT's bees and some CT queens that would be a good compromise?

Full Bloom Apiaries is in CT. They don't sell packages. Carniolan nucs and queens.
    Draper's in Millerton,PA ships Carniolan packages. They're taking orders now.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    We have a few and will ship from NC. Tates Apiaries 336 788 4554 or tates apiaries.com
    Larry,
    Sent an e-mail; will call on Wed.

Thanks!!
    Chris in NJ

You can always look at the ads in The American Bee Journal or Bee Culture, though I have found it better to get packages locally. I had packages shipped to Maine from Texas last year and I got an excited call from UPS that one of the packages had opened in their New Hampshire processing center. Best to avoid that type of phone call if you can. That said, the ads are educational about what types of bees are available. In my case I was looking for bees capable of surviving and thriving without treatments that were available commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    ... I had packages shipped to Maine from Texas last year and I got an excited call from UPS that one of the packages had opened in their New Hampshire processing center. Best to avoid that type of phone call if you can. ....
    What was that phone call like!!!!

Chris in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd4421 View Post
    What was that phone call like!!!!

Chris in NJ
    I wonder too. Musta been somwhat humorous.

Take a look here: http://njbeekeepers.org/BeeProducts.htm

This is a listing of Honey and Hive products in New Jersey. Several ov them list bees, nucs, and packages in the far right column. Hunterdon, Monmouth, Flemington. Not too far from you. I grew up in Westfield. Go Giants! oh, wait...darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    Take a look here: http://njbeekeepers.org/BeeProducts.htm

This is a listing of Honey and Hive products in New Jersey. Several ov them list bees, nucs, and packages in the far right column. Hunterdon, Monmouth, Flemington. Not too far from you. I grew up in Westfield. Go Giants! oh, wait...darn.
    LRMO,
    I grew up in Westfield as well!!! Went to WHS. I Reached out to many of the NJBA members offering Carnies. Most are either queens or NUCs only. My problem is that they all run deeps as NUCs and my outfit is all mediums. I have been playing with the idea of getting a locally sourced Italian packages and locally sourced Carnie queens but that starts I make thing complicated.

The other problem is the state site lost its web admin and what I am finding out is much of the info is outdated.

Thanks!
    Chris in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd4421 View Post
    My problem is that they all run deeps as NUCs and my outfit is all mediums.
    Make a temporary "shim" box of the right height to turn a medium into a deep. As the bees expand, you can rotate out the odd sized box and deep frames.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hi Chris, I'm WHS '78. I run all mediums as well, but I guess I'm lucky in that my association produces medium nucs. So, that's what I started out with. This is my first year so I'm just hoping the colonies survive the winter.

Not much can be done with out of date info. Good luck with the packages.

I only know of one person producing medium NUCs and she is taking a break this year to strengthen her colonies. She runs with MN H.

I am looking for the calm disposition of Carnies as I have 4 little kids and I want them to be able to join me in the hive. I also want the small clusters for wintering as our winters have been uncharacteristic as it has been everywhere. I have had Italians and MN H with success. I lost all hives this year due to my own mistakes. I figured this year I would give the Carnies a chance and see how they do.

Thanks!
    Chris in NJ
    Last edited by chrisd4421; 01-01-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    So does anybody have any positive reviews for these guys? I am looking for carni packages as well. One weird thing is that they ask you to select your own ship date. What date would work for north central Minnesota?
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast