Re: Another question on oxalic vaporizing!!
Jim, I have to read these MSDS sheets at work all the time. It is my responsibility that all containers are labeled correctly according to OSHA and one of the things I have to do is make up labels form info on the MSDS. For the most part they are terroristic language. You have to read them with a bit of background info.
This sheet is for OA Crystals which is exactly what beekeepers would be handling.
Two sections you would be most interested in is the PPE and the final hazard ratings located on the last page. There is a screw up on the last page though because each hazard is rated on a scale from 0 to 4 there is no 20 as listed next to hazard. I am goign to venture form other information on the MSDS that this should read.
Fire 1, Health 2 and Reactivity 0
Water is rated a 1 for health hazard.
For the PPE it is listed:
Splash goggles. Full suit. Vapor and dust respirator. Boots. Gloves. A
self−contained breathing apparatus should be used to avoid inhalation of
the product. Suggested protective clothing might not be sufficient; consult
a specialist BEFORE handling this product.
In comparison this is the PPE from the MSDS for Bleach.
Personal Protective Equipment: Wear safety goggles. Use rubber or nitrile
gloves if in contact liquid, especially for prolonged periods.
Difference is a suit and a respirator.
Bleach is a irritant tot he skin after long exposure. OA is an irritant with any exposure. Crystals can be ingested or breathed,. liquid bleach would not be considered so. Our people manage to figure out how to though. Putting it in a spray bottle and atomizing it for example. It has happened. Atomizing bleach is not in accordance with it's intended use. We are under no requirement to provide protection from such use.
You could say the same about vaporizing OA.
In all I don't find anything in regulation that mentions it being vaporized or for the use with bees at all. It is not approved or disapproved. IN this case it really is a matter of "Is it approved"? You can't expect anyone to then list every use it is not approved for. So the truth is if your use is not listed as approved. It is Not approved. and that is what matters. It is approved as a wood cleaner and bleach and as a bathroom and kitchen disinfectant. Including utensils that will come into contact with food. but none of these include the use of it being vaporized. It is approval of it used as crystals and dissolved in a liquid. I guess you could argue that dribbling is cleaning the kitchen in a sort of pre kitchen sort of way.
Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)